Friday, December 2, 2011

Gluten Free Roasted Vegetables -- Guest Post by Carol Fenster


I have the honor today to present you with a guest post from none other than the popular gluten free cookbook author Ms. Carol Fenster. Ms. Fenster has written 10 gluten free cookbooks and is a leader in the gluten free community. She recently published her 10th cookbook, "125 Gluten Free Vegetarian Recipes." For those of you who follow vegetarian and/or vegan diets or those of you who simply love vegetables and need some new recipe ideas this book would be ideal for you. Stay tuned at the end of this post to learn how you can win a brand new copy of this wonderful gluten free vegetarian cookbook!


Gluten-Free Roasted Vegetables by Carol Fenster 
Written for GingerLemonGirl.com
By Carol Fenster, author of 125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes (Avery, 2011) 
www.CarolFensterCooks.com and www.GfreeCuisine.com

Many of us are coming down from the Thanksgiving high induced by lots of wonderful foods, some of which are not necessarily healthy but certainly tasted good, didn’t they!  If you’re looking for ideas to introduce some healthier whole food options, I have a solution. Try roasted vegetables.

Roasted does wonderful things for vegetables―as I discovered while writing my latest book, 125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes. It transforms them―especially those with strong flavors like asparagus or cauliflower―into sweeter, milder versions making them more appealing to non-vegetable eaters. How does this happen? Technically, roasting caramelizes the natural sugars in vegetables and brings out a pleasant nuttiness that simultaneously mellows the flavors as well. Roasting is perfect for hearty winter meals.

This method is especially good for those who prefer whole, rather than processed foods because the actual vegetable remains intact; it isn’t broken down, pulverized, or peeled. Nothing is lost, but a lot is gained in flavor. And, you don’t need to add many other ingredients―simple is better (and easier).

In addition to cauliflower and asparagus, another of my favorite roasted vegetables is Brussels sprouts. They are usually a good buy in winter when they are harvested. They look like miniature heads of cabbage which is not surprising since they belong to the cruciferous family. They grow on a stalk (see photo) which is so large and sturdy that it could probably serve as a weapon.

But we see them in the produce section of grocery stores as little green balls. Look for firm, dense heads and bright green compact leaves. Avoid yellowed heads or any with holes, which could indicate insect damage. Like other members of the cruciferous family, Brussels sprouts are a good source of vitamins, fiber, iron and disease-fighting compounds.

Try this easy recipe from my new book. I think you’ll agree that it is a winner.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Orange-Nut Sauce
Reprinted with permission from 125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Fenster (Avery, 2011)

Blanching the sprouts briefly in boiling water helps preserve their lovely green color. If you don't have time or don’t mind the loss of color, you can skip Step 2.

1 pound Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons orange marmalade (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
  1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Have a medium bowl of water and ice cubes ready.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove any bruised outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half through the stem end. Cook in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and immediately submerge in the ice water for 2 minutes to stop the cooking, then blot dry with paper towels.
  3. In a medium bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil and arrange on the baking sheet, cut side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  4. Roast until caramelized, about 25 to 30 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. Transfer to a serving bowl. Whisk the marmalade and vinegar together and then toss with Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with the toasted nuts and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Carol’s Tips
  1. Choose Brussels sprouts that are similarly-sized for even roasting.  If yours are all sizes, arrange the smaller heads on one end of the pan and larger ones on the other end. If necessary, remove the smaller heads from the oven first and return the larger ones to finish roasting.
  2. Halving the sprouts makes them roast quicker and more thoroughly.
  3. Discard any loose leaves; they’ll brown too quickly in the oven and probably burn.
  4. To save time, toast the walnuts by sprinkling them around the Brussels sprouts during the final 2 or 3 minutes of roasting.
  5. If you don’t have orange marmalade, use the same amount of orange juice concentrate instead and add a little grated orange zest, if you have it. 
  6. If you would like to try roasting other vegetables check out the recipes for roasted cauliflower and roasted asparagus in my book. Enjoy!
GLG Disclosure: The Lisa Ekus Group, who represents Ms. Carol Fenster provided me with a free copy of "125 Gluten Free Vegetarian Recipes" for the purpose of providing a review. While this is a post shared by Ms. Carol Fenster, it is not a sponsored post and I did not receive compensation. I am sharing the copy I received of the book with my readers. The opinions in this post are mine. 

***************

Would you like to win a copy of Ms. Fenster's newest cookbook?

Contest is now over! 

Congrats to Sarah H. comment #32
"Recently I have been eating a lot of sweet potatoes - I get the sweet potato chips and also will bake them like you would regular potatoes and eat them with Earth Balance margarine and honey. For Thanksgiving I made our famous sweet potato casserole topped with pecans - converted to vegan and gluten free of course. -- Sarah H." 




Pin It!

54 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie:
    My favorite veggie changes daily, but one of my all time favorites is broccoli. It is so versatile and yummy! You can do anything with it! www.elderberrysisters.com sandyartfulspirit@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there,
    we had roasted veggies for supper just last evening: brussel sprouts, butternut squash, red onions, cauliflower, carrots, baby potatoes...very yummy! loved ms. fenster's addition of the orange marmalade; going to try that next time.
    blessings!
    coleen <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I cook for both my mother, a vegetarian, and my husband, who has Celiac, I try to make dishes that both can eat. It would be wonderful to have a cookbook that serves both. Thanks.


    pfgan(AT)windstream(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just made brussels sprouts by first parboiling and then roasting them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. simple and delish! But I love the idea of the orange marmalade in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green beans are my all time favorite! I love to toss them in olfive oil, add some halved grape tomatoes, and a little pepper and then raost them. Brings out the best flavor in the green beans.
    we3morenos(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite vegetable has to be squash, or most specifically KABOCHA SQUASH! <3 i love it steamed. then it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Broccoli is my all-time favorite vegetable. I love to eat it lightly steamed and plain. It's so delicious it needs no adornment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love grilled asparagus with balsamic vinaigrette! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all time favorite vegetable is asparagus, roasted with a little bit of olive oil and kosher or sea salt. Yum.

    Lorri
    lpmccallum (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely broccoli. Roasting it makes the ends nice and crispy and satisfies my cravings for potato chips! My email is m.e.haugen_at_gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carrie,

    I'd LOVE to win this cookbook! ...I've roasted garlic before, and it was awesome. Brussels sprouts have never been my favorite, but I'm going to give this a try. My favorite veggie is spinach. I saute it in some extra virgin olive oil with some pressed garlic and sea salt to taste. Thanks, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well of course I'd love a gluten-free vegetarian cookbook. Hmm, favorite vegetable, that changes probably every day. Right now I'm having lots of mushroom love though. I love to saute them with onions and some salt until they release all their liquids, then cook it all off. Then add them to just about anything. Or eat them plain.

    kalinda[at]wheatfreemeatfree[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Asparagus is my favorite. I steam them with butter and garlic powder in the water, then add shredded parmesian cheese and more garlic powder when done(just a little crispness left to them)! Yum, Yum!!
    christine
    fc_bailey@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roasted cauliflower that has been tossed with oil and paprika.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi.
    I have never had roasted veggies and I would like to learn how to do them. I love all veggies but some of them I don't know how to cook.
    Thanks
    fluffyceliac@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe and the chance to win the cookbook! I'm a minimalist when it comes to asparagus, serving it steamed, with butter, salt and pepper to taste. I also like sweet potatoes cut in large chunks and sauteed in a little butter til slightly browned, then cooked the rest of the way in orange juice.
    Becky
    flourgirl47@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love eating summer squash sauteed with a little butter than topped with some salsa and mozzarella cheese. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all veggies, especially roasted. If I had to pick one, it would have to be roasted broccoli with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper.
    adomesticprincess@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man, favorite vegetable? It's hard to choose one. I love Brussels sprouts, especially roasted. And I have a bag in the frig right now. Carrots, I have have always loved them. Green peas, green beans...broccoli. They're all wonderful!
    BTW - Carol Fenster is awesome, one of the gluten free pioneers! Would love to get a copy of this cookbook since hubby is vegetarian. Thanks for the giveaway!
    Renee @ Beyond Rice and Tofu

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE veggies! Broccoli and asparagus are two of my favorites. I enjoy both raw, but have also roasted them. Stir fry is also a fave! Would really like to have this book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is funny- with this pregnancy, like the first, I'm not finding myself much attracted to meat, and I was saying the other day that I need to find more vegetarian recipes! My favorite veggie is a tomato (I know, I know, technically a fruit!)- with mozzarella, basil, and olive oil, in caprese salad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first asparagus of spring (actually all times) with just melted butter. But fresh corn and rosemary garlic roasted potatoes arehigh on the list too.

    Joan

    jakugler@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite veggie...what hard question. I'd have to go with sweet potatoes. They are so delicious, nutritious, and filling. I love them roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favourite veggie is roasted acorn sqaush sprinkled with sea salt, fresh ground pepper,cinnamon, and a drizzling of Canadian maple syrup.dbridge@cogeco.ca

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Any cookbook from Carol is bound to be a winner. Thanks for sharing, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh that book sounds fabulous! My favorite vegetable is probably corn; I love to blanch it on the cobb and cut it onto salads. - aeriemcc@yahoo.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Carrie,

    I'm a big fan of tomatoes & bell peppers - in soups, chilis, marinara sauce, salsas... I could eat them every day & never tire :)
    stephc383@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I Love all vegetables except maybe Brussels sprouts, but I am willing to try them roasted. I would love some new ideas for fixing vegetables. Debbie at wherrys (at) citlink (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE to make roasted okra (in olive oil) with crumbled brown rice chips on top to simulate the old southern comfort food I used to have so long ago. Much healthier and still gives it a crunch! melodyerez @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite veggies are actually from my garden that I roast with olive oil, sea salt and pepper then add quinoa to make a meal... i can eat this every day: zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and bell peppers.... hmmm please pick me cwdanz (at) me (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Right now - Kale! YUM! Baked with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Otherwise, green beans :).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Right now I'm loving spaghetti squash! We sautee other veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, onions, etc and add it to the "spaghetti", then top with some feta cheese...soooo yummy! I would love to win this cookbook...I've been vegetarian my whole life and went gluten-free about a year ago. Thank you for the opportunity to win! Michelle
    MLW629@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. my favorite veggie is fresh broccoli steamed in the ziploc steamfresh bag topped with some dairy free butter or oil- it's super quick & easy and just makes the best broccoli ever!
    malibumegan@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Recently I have been eating a lot of sweet potatoes - I get the sweet potato chips and also will bake them like you would regular potatoes and eat them with Earth Balance margarine and honey. For Thanksgiving I made our famous sweet potato casserole topped with pecans - converted to vegan and gluten free of course. sarahherr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Carrie, I love steamed broccoli and also many grilled veggies. faithandfloyd@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. eggplant & tomatoes. ANy way possible, but love them on pizza!
    s_laubach@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. fav veggie is probably spinach! Great for juicing, in a smoothie or with my salad!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beets! Beets are the best! Roasted, steamed, raw, shredded on salad. Warm or Cold. Especially fresh out of the garden. Mmm. I really love beets.
    ~Jennifer~
    jwedge5088(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  39. My favorite veggie is Baby Bok Choy that I purchase at HMart stores. I quickly stir fry it in a little toasted sesame oil, then quickly toast some sesame seeds and cashews in the pan with it. Delightful for breakfast ! Would love to win this cookbook to help me since I'm just starting out going gluten-free after being diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would love to win a copy of this book---I am a vegetarian as well as trying a gluten free diet--and feel so much better!
    I love raw veggies: carrots & broccoli but also love steamed cabbage with a little olive oil and spices!
    melcar08@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't think I could pick just *one* favorite vegetable, but I will say that carrots are a current eat-every-day, thanks to a bumper crop of CSA carrots this fall. I add them to everything (cooked or raw), but a favorite is to roast them (cut in small pieces) along with potatoes, onions, garbanzo beans (precooked, broccoli or whatever else is around --we toss 'em w/sesame oil and tamari (GF, natch!) and they come out delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  42. My daughter was just diagnosed allergic to gluten. Her favorite vet able is carrots. We are trying hard to find recipes and places to purchase reasonably priced flour to make bread for her. I look forward to reading your Blog to get father educated.
    Pam in Tennessee
    embroidery@mail.org

    ReplyDelete
  43. hi! my favorites are eggplant in a caponata and brussel sprouts roasted with oil and prosciutto. oh and arugula, i love arugula with sweet aged balsamic vinegar... thanks for the chance to win!

    my email is snowygreen2003 at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your site and cauliflower baked with a nut crumb crust.Also steamed cauliflower,then food process until fine like "couscous".It is more delicious than regular couscous and so versatile.Thanks so much for all the great recipes....I love all veggies!
    diane015@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  45. i love fall and winter squash. butternut is my favorite, because it it so flavorful and versatile. i love it roasted and pureed... ready to make soup, pumpkin - umm... i mean SQUASH chocolate chip cookies, and lots of other yummy recipes!

    lexeehalsmith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello Carrie!
    I happened upon your website today and very happy that I did! I can't wait to try your recipes. I shared a couple of your recipes on my Facebook page. Thank you for all of your information.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love lettuce salads with peppers, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, broccoli, and cucumbers.
    mosiersue@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. My favorite vegetable is potato. Potato soup, potato au gratin, potato salad, baked potato, mashed potato, potato o'brien, potato pancakes...should I go on? :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Carrie,
    I just recently found your 100 Best GF Recipe book and have been sharing it with so many of my friends. It is wonderful. My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac a little over a year ago and I recently found out my 11 years of pain throughout my body was from Gluten. I love brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, red peppers, brussel sprouts and waterchestnuts. Roasted is my favorite but I settle for steamed with some brummel butter and salt. My daughter has the same taste and loves vegetables as well. Lex Levy llevy1110@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Carrie- I just bought your 100 Best GF Recipes and absolutely love it! My daughter and I both have an intolerance to gluten.
    I love roasted asparagus, zucchini, red peppers, tomatoes. Broccoli and cauliflower are favorites in our house, usually just steamed with salt, pepper and butter. Brussel sprourts are another favorite. Thank you for educating and helping make GF life much easier. L. Levy llevy1110@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love just about any veggie roasted with a little olive oil, S&P and red pepper flakes. A sprinkle of parmesan can't hurt either! mjanssens9@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Carol! Thanks for giving away the cookbook. I would like to give it to my friend for Christmas if I win. She is already vegetarian and has told me she is gluten free. Sugar snap pees with just about any type of potatoes are my favorites. I also love sweet corn. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to you! buschmannster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you for your very generous offer to your readership.

    Brussel sprouts are a vegetable that I very often crave and enjoy immensely. Being a simple, very unimaginative cook, I use that term loosely in regards to my efforts, they are very often steamed with sea salt, a CF butter substitute, pepper and finally topped with a horseradish sauce.

    Thank you for this recipe, which I will soon try.

    Kim B.
    ridestherange@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs