Thursday, March 29, 2012

{Paleo 101 Books} Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo


This book is where my paleo journey began. When I first pondered the idea of following a paleo diet, Sarah's book "Everyday Paleo" is where I started. I actually contacted the publisher myself because I was so interested in having a copy of the book. They graciously sent me one and I have been in love with this book ever since. I actually talked about the book a little back in October 2011 and the food you see at the top of that post is a skillet meal from Sarah's book

Sarah helped me to learn how carbohydrates didn't have to be the base or main part of a meal. Up until I started "re-learning" how to cook with Everyday Paleo, I was stuck on using pasta, mashed potatoes, bread, etc... as the base of my meals and I didn't know how to change that. Sarah's easy one pot recipes showed me you could use zucchini, acorn squash, or tomatoes as the base of your meal. Proteins are very important on a paleo-type of diet, but Sarah showed me how to make delicious and creative meals with vegetables and proteins. Paleo isn't about just eating meat.

Some of my favorite recipes from Sarah's book are:

  • Spice Rubbed Slow Cooked Chicken (I'm rather fond of anything slow cooker!) 
  • "Breaded" Baked Chicken
  • Better Butter Chicken
  • Everyday Meatloaf (this was hubs favorite - and he liked it even better on the 2nd day!)
  • Puerto Rican Beef
  • Sirloin Dijon (MY FAVORITE! use kale as pasta? Who knew you could do that! I love this dish!)
  • Garlic Beef Stew with Acorn Squash (serious comfort food! I loved this!) 
  • Kids Love Cabbage Slaw (really awesome sweet and sour slaw! Love mango!)
While I haven't cooked my way through the entire book, this is a cookbook that is often on my kitchen counter when I'm trying to find something quick for dinner. Many of the dishes are skillet meals and are easy to prepare. One of the things I like about this book in comparison to other paleo cookbooks is that you can make most of the meals with very simple kitchen equipment such as a good knife and a heavy cast iron skillet. No ice-cream makers. No high-end blenders needed. Keep it simple. Keep it fresh. 

Other reviews and thoughts on Sarah Fragoso's first book, "Everyday Paleo": 

Pin It!