Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Return of the Gym Hamster -- Home Edition


Gym Hamster's been gone a while.

Not gone really, but working on a cookbook, focusing on self-care, and learning how to better communicate my thoughts and feelings. And honestly the gym was not missed. However, I know I need to begin to concentrate again on my physical fitness.

This time I want to stick with what I know. What I generally enjoy once I get into the habit of exercise. With what has worked in the past. For me: that's walking videos, strength training with my husband, and finding activities at home and on the go that will incorporate more movement.

Today was the first day back to more movement. My doctor told me to start today. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Take 15 minutes and start today. I love my doctor. Instead of making me feel bad for gaining back weight I had lost, he told me he knew I was motivated enough to try again. He believed in me. He made it clear to set small goals, start slowly, let it become a habit.

It's amazing how just having someone you respect believe in you can be so incredibly motivating.

So I started today. For 15 minutes. Anybody can do 15 minutes. A walk around our neighborhood. Here's the breakdown:

  • 1 minute before walk: Honey, I so do not want to walk. I'm tired. I'm cranky. I do NOT want to walk. But please walk with me. I do NOT want to walk. I do not want to walk. I do NOT want to walk. 
  • 30 seconds in: I hate walking. I am three years old and I do NOT want to do this. I will kick a rock.
  • 2 minutes in: My legs feel so heavy. I hate walking. *Sigh* sigh* sigh* 
  • 5 minutes in: My legs still feel heavy. I am still frustrated and I don't want to do this. Why can't our bodies be self-regulating? 
  • 7 minutes in: Now paying attention to lighthearted conversation with hubs. It's good to connect with him. I guess we can do one more lap. 
  • 10 minutes in: Legs don't feel quite so heavy anymore. Kind of tingly, but not in a bad way. Like I've moved. This is good. Okay, maybe walking isn't so bad. 
  • 12 minutes in: I really don't want to admit by this point I'm enjoying this walk. 
  • 15 minutes in: Done. Completed. Okay, so once I got warmed up it wasn't so bad. We'll do it again tomorrow, even if I have to drag myself out of the house. Getting started is the hardest part right? Even when it's getting started again... 


Pin It!