Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gym Hamster - Week 4 Update


I am convinced a treadmill and/or recumbent bike is nothing more than a human hamster wheel. Of course hamsters run in hopes of not only exercising, but hoping they end up somewhere else... and really it's what you do on a treadmill too. You want to end up somewhere else. You want to be in a different place. For a while it seems absolutely silly. It certainly doesn't look like you're going anywhere... but you are. It's just slow. It takes a lotta miles on that treadmill (or my favorite recumbent bike) to actually see where you're headed.

Overall my weight loss has not yet been significant. I hope in the next few weeks to be below the 200 pound mark. And that will be awesome... then I'll start looking forward to getting below the 190 mark... but I know this will be a slow process. It can be all too easy to want to focus on the numbers when I know I'm making progress in other areas.

A major off-the-scale victory this week is my blood pressure... Literally the day before I started going to the gym my doctor started me on a 2nd blood pressure medication. Having to get on another medication was a serious wake up call. I was already extremely frustrated by my weight gain... but having to go on a 2nd blood pressure medication at 32 was just crazy. I HAVE to stop this cycle. I have too. I already have high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Those diagnoses along with being obese are primary indicators of metabolic syndrome. Meaning my body doesn't process sugars well... it's called being insulin resistant. You can read more about that here. Another common indicator of metabolic syndrome is diabetes...and I do NOT want to head down that road. So it's time to stop the cycle.

When I checked my blood pressure at the gym before exercising yesterday it was 117/79. That is the lowest it's been in YEARS. IT gives me real hope that I can eventually lose enough weight and get healthy enough to possibly get off the medication completely! And that's an off the scale victory I will celebrate!

I've been journaling my progress on a little blog called "Gluten Free Strawberry" feel free to read the blog if you'd like. It's more of a way for me to quietly journal and figure this thing out... and it's helpful. It also helps keep me accountable.

This week has been easier than I thought it would be. I've just been going to the gym. I don't even really think about it. It's also my date with Dr. Phil! :-P I listen to the show on my mp3 player while I'm exercising (we all need excuses to watch Dr. Phil right?) and I almost feel like it's really becoming just a habit. Just something I do during my week. Just another part of my daily schedule. And that is huge.

I really appreciate all of your support and prayers in this journey. I really couldn't do this without the support from so many friends & fellow bloggers. The support of my online community is amazing and I am so blessed! Thank you!

How's your week going?

Thoughtfully,
Carrie
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Keep it up! You can do it! every time you take a step or cycle on the bike you are taking one step closer to better health. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was a time when I would work out 5 days a week for an hour, and my scale would NOT budge at all. I don't know what was going on. I kept a food journal and everything added up there.
    Things are a lot better now, and I hit my target weight, after I went on a cleanse. I think it helped to reset my metabolism, or something. It was super frustrating before. Stick with it, girl! I'm glad you've seen some good results so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome when I received my Celiac diagnosis. But after eating on the low glycemic index (more fiber, less carbs that turn in to sugar, and NO fried foods at all) I turned it around completely. Not that this works for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there - I'm trying to loose the baby weight. I've never yo yo'd in my life as much as I have in the past year - two kids is tough!
    I've decided that I just need to focus on portion control and counting calories and being more aware of what I put in my mouth as well as exercising - that's the only thing that'll get me to my goal.

    If you don't already know about this site (Myfooddiary.com) - it's AWESOME! I just found it a few days ago. I love how it shows me reports (with graphs and pie charts) of what I'm eating - if I've eaten too much cholesterol or sodium. It tells me what I'll weigh in a month if every day was like today...it's so detailed and it kind of presents a challenge - I want to get the smiley face for exercising that day and I want my pie to be as red as possible!

    I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear about your next "gym" post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Good for you. Your motivation and attitude are inspiring. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed how you are taking control of your health Carrie! It isn't easy to do, and most people would just go with the medication. I'm sure it will be successful! I've known many people who've dropped their medications and become very healthy.

    My week? Not strong, but there's always next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are so brave and inspiring to blog about your weight loss journey! I wouldn't doubt that you will be able to get off of both of your BP meds when the weight comes off. I have read of many cases like that in my alternative medicine newsletters. I hope you will motivate more of your readers to join you on your quest for better health!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to read your journey to your best health. The gym is an essential part of my family's daily routine. While I am able to measure the results in dropped weight and clothing sizes, the joy of my family knowing that we are all going to be healthier is the truest reward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After my third child, I had a hard time losing weight. My metablolism was all screwed up. I hit the library and read lots of diet and exercise books. When I read the book "Curves" by Gary Heavin, it explained alot about why I was gaining weight. It made more sense than anything else I'd seen. I followed the six week diet - I felt like I was eating more than I'd ever eaten in my entire life. It kick-started my metabolism, and when I went back to my normal eating habits I continued to lose weight. I lost a total of about 25 pounds. I did this pre-gluten free, and it might be tough to do it again now.
    But, my point is, the book had lots of good information, and I highly recomend you check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too struggle with my weight. I so loved your hamster on a wheel picture. Sometimes I feel that way about exercising :( You have insprired me just by sharing your story and I do hope I get to the point like you when exercising will be just a common part of my day like brushing my teeth!

    Angie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its tough, but you just gotta stick it through. Don't forget to reward yourself once in a while though. This shouldn't be *complete* torture. Just get past the 3 week hump. Don't be discouraged by a scale, as long as you're feeling healthier. Yes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs