Wednesday, June 23, 2010

30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals: Day 17 - Sarah's Stuffed Peppers

Welcome to 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals!

Today's post is written by Sarah Graham author of the blog, GlutenGirlinAustin.

Day 17 - Sarah's Stuffed Peppers

June has not been my favorite month so far. I lost a pet last week, and the emptiness that remains can’t be filled with gluten free goodies. I try to remember that each day with him was a gift, and I am thankful for every one. But I haven’t eaten much the last few weeks. Food does not comfort me in times of stress or sadness; I have to just force myself to eat.

Yet here I am needing to guest blog for Ginger Lemon Girl’s 30 days of Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals, so I’m going to use this post as a way to renew both my body and my spirit. While the food can nourish me, writing heals me.

Life isn’t always this dramatic, but it is almost always frenetic. There are days, (hopefully less often than not) where the kids are sick, the dogs are sick, and you are sick. Where your hair is on fire and you’re burning daylight just trying to get everything done. Those are the days it’s hard to remember to exhale, no less prepare a meal. Yet if you have others counting on you, you have to do it all.

These quick & easy meals we have all been sharing can be our lifeline on those days. When your sanity is being tested, in whatever way that may be, take a recipe from this blog series and spend a few minutes not only cooking but breathing, savoring, living.

We all know that as much as we want, some days we just cannot stop and smell the roses, but maybe we can just take a couple of moments to stop and smell what we’re cooking.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this blog, Carrie! I adapted this recipe from Jessica Meyer’s vast expanse of recipes some of which are posted on her blog ATX Gluten Free.


MEXICAN SPICED STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
Originally posted at GlutenGirlinAustin. Reprinted with permission from the author.
Yields 6 servings

6 red or yellow bell peppers (we all preferred yellow)
2 avocados, sliced
1 lb. ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 can corn, drained
1/4 cup gluten free chicken stock (I always use Pacific organic low sodium)
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
3/4 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
Tiny pinch cinnamon
Olive oil
Salt (don’t be shy – this brings out the flavor in the turkey)
Pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oil over medium in large skillet. Add onion & garlic & sauté until aromatic.
2. Add turkey & all seasonings and brown turkey in skillet. Test the flavors now because the spices need to go in before the corn or they can clump to the kernels.
3. Once halfway browned, add in corn and ¼ cup chicken stock. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced.


4. While simmering, slice off the tops of the bell peppers and hollow out the inside. Roast peppers at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes if you want to soften them slightly. Or you can leave them raw if you’d like them extra crunchy.
5. Once turkey mixture is fully cooked, scoop it into the bell peppers, top with shredded cheese and sliced avocado and serve.

Side dish options: I served mine with organic refried black beans. I would also add a starch in there, like some simple lime & cilantro rice, but I did not have any on hand.

**********



About Sarah:
I’ve been gluten free for about five years now. After growing up as a picky eater, I’ve reformed into a total foodie. Since seeing Food Inc this past winter, I’ve discovered a true passion for the local & organic food movement. I recently began volunteering with a local organic food delivery company helping them plan events. My blog can be about anything food & health related and often about how to eat out gluten free in Austin. I believe gluten sensitive people can still enjoy dining out if they just know how to order. Say hello to me at www.glutengirlinaustin.blogspot.com.

*********

Stay tuned tomorrow for Day 18 of 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals. Amy Green of Simply Sugar & Gluten Free will share one of her favorite recipes for an easy summer salad!


Pin It!