Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Product Review: Cook Simple's Cowboy Chili Meal (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Non-GMO)



I feel like I can hear the sound of the dinner bell at the chuckwagon ringing away with this review! I was first introduced to Cook Simple's Cowboy Chili last year when I received a box in a Taste Guru monthly box. I tried it and really enjoyed it. It was a simple healthy chili that could be made in about 20 minutes for a quick, healthy, and easily gluten-free dinner!

I've bought this boxed meal several times since, and I'm always amazed at the quality of the meal and how healthy it is for a boxed mix. The box comes with directions on the pack and a packaged mix of dried beans, spices, and vegetables. You add a can of diced tomatoes, 1 pound browned ground beef, and 2 1/2 cups of water and voila... dinner 20-30 minutes later! You could easily make it vegetarian by using another can of beans or garbanzos in place of the ground beef (I actually added some leftover garbanzo beans I had in the fridge last night!), and it's already dairy-free... which is rare option for packaged gluten-free foods.

And because I'm sensitive to a lot of tomatoes (I can handle small amounts) I actually use canned pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree instead of the tomatoes... you can't tell the difference! (And bonus fiber! woohoo!) As you will see below, for such a great tasting dish the ingredient list is very small and mainly consists of dried vegetables and beans!

Nutritional Info: 
  • Calories: 140 per serving (as packaged, with 1/4 pound 85% lean ground beef = 384 cals total)
  • Total Fat: 0 grams (as packaged, with additional 1/4 pound 85% lean ground beef = 17 grams total)
  • Cholesterol: 0 milligrams (as packaged, with additional 1/4 pound 85% lean ground beef = 77 milligrams total)
  • Sodium: 85 milligrams (as packaged, with additional 1/4 pound 85% lean ground beef = 160 milligrams total)
  • Total Carbohydrates: 20 grams
  • Dietary Fiber: 1 gram
  • Sugars: 11 grams
  • Protein: 1 gram (as packaged, with additional 1/4 pound 85% lean ground beef = 22 grams total)

Ingredients:  

Red Beans*, Quinoa, Black Beans*, Tomato*, Onion*, Peppers*, Zucchini*, Chili Powder (chili peppers*, salt, spices, garlic*), Sea Salt, Spices, Spinach* 

* = Dried  (from Cooksimple.com)




Pin It!