Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Everything Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cookbook -- "Tuscan Chicken and White Beans"



I've asked several readers and fans to try recipes from my upcoming gluten-free slow cooker cookbook! Throughout the next few weeks, I plan on sharing their thoughts (from emails and pictures) on the recipes they have tried in my new book!

This review comes from Suzanne and Chris N. They decided to try the Tuscan Chicken and White Beans, a recipe from the Poultry chapter. Here's how the dish turned out for them: 

Hey Carrie

You had asked Suzanne (aka. "the wife") to test a recipe. Since I do the bulk of cooking here these days, that job actually fell on me (Chris, the husband).

We picked the Tuscan Chicken because it seemed like a recipe we normally would never try. I know that seems odd, but we've been adventurous lately.

My first impressions were not optimistic. I had to go buy a bunch of cans, which is not how we normally cook. We prefer to cook with fresh ingredients, particularly this time of year when they are so plentiful, good, and inexpensive. In any case, I followed the recipe to the letter despite my temptation to substitute fresh stuff here and there.

I must say we were pleasantly surprised. It was really good. Not sure what more I can say other than I wouldn't change it a bit. The dish was seasoned perfectly and well balanced. No particular ingredient overtook the dish. Because there is just the two of us, there was plenty leftover, so we both took some for lunch the next day, and we agreed that warmed up a day later, it tasted even better. I guess that makes sense for a dish designed to stew in a slow-cooker all day.

...We served it over rice noodles.


Many, many thanks to Suzanne and Chris for trying the Tuscan Chicken and White Beans. I specifically designed a lot of the recipes in this book so they would be "pantry-friendly" -- so for those of you who don't always have fresh vegetables available, recipes such as this can be super easy and just as healthy. I'm so glad Suzanne and Chris tried this recipe and enjoyed it! 



Pin It!