Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gluten Free "Crustless" Pumpkin Pie Recipe


It dawned on me when I posted my yearly gluten free Thanksgiving Menu that I had never shared my favorite recipe for pumpkin pie.

The main reason is because I figured this was one of those super easy recipes that everybody already has. Or already knows how to make...But then I decided even if that may be the case, but I'm going to share it anyway. Hope you don't mind. The pie is based on good ol' Libby's traditional recipe. I make the pie dairy free with coconut milk, and I double the spices because I'm a little wild & crazy like that. :-)

While I've always loved a good, crispy, flaky crust... the pumpkin filling has always been my favorite part. I love the warm spices and the super creamy texture. I do like a little crunch too though... To get that crunch with each slice I add pecan halves around the pie. Isn't it pretty? But if you're not a fan of pecans (you poor thing!) simply leave them off.

I use sorghum or millet flour in this recipe to create the "crust-like" texture around the edge of the pie You might call this pie an "Impossible" pie --the bisquick people made recipes like this popular. You can use the same amount of gluten free bisquick or GF master mix in place of the flour called for. If you go that route, simply leave out the baking soda called for in the recipe below.  Alternately, to make the pie more "paleo" friendly you could use 3 tablespoons of coconut flour in place of the gluten free flour.

Who needs a traditional crust?


Gluten Free Crustless Pumpkin Pie
Created by Carrie Forbes of Gingerlemongirl.com
Free of gluten, dairy/casein, soy, and corn
Printer-friendly recipe

Dry Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar -or- coconut palm sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup sorghum or millet flour -or- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Wet Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 (13.5 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Optional:
1/2 cup - 1 cup pecan halves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and whisk in the wet ingredients. Thoroughly mix into a thick batter. Pour batter into a large 9" pie plate that's been greased with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. Optional -- If you'd like, line the pecan halves around the edge of the pie and make a small circle in the middle. Bake in the 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until set in the middle. The pie will only jiggle slightly in the middle when done and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out mostly clean. Allow pie to cool for about an hour, then slice and serve.




Pin It!