Saturday, October 29, 2011

gluten free, grain free banana spice muffins recipe



I originally published this recipe in June of 2008. It's amazing to me that I was experimenting with grain free eating a year into my gluten free journey. And now, 4 years later -- grain-free is finally starting to become my way of life. Since 2008 I've made these muffins countless times and in the past few months they have become a breakfast staple.

I often vary the spices. Sometimes it's nutmeg, or cardamom, or ginger, or cloves... use whatever strikes your fancy. Even a pinch of tumeric can make an enticing addition. I love warm spices, so it's the perfect season to revisit these hearty muffins.

I've changed the recipe only slightly since I first shared it. It now calls for less sweetener, and I've chosen honey instead of agave nectar or sugar. Feel free to use what you prefer.

Don't want to use bananas? Use a cup of plain pumpkin puree instead. Or unsweetened applesauce. Just make them your own and enjoy their simple, just-sweet-enough goodness!

Share in the comments below or chat with me here on the blog and let me know how you would spice up these muffins!

Gluten Free, Grain Free Banana Spice Muffins
free of gluten, grains, dairy/casein, soy, and corn.
created by Carrie @ http://www.gingerlemongirl.com
printer-friendly recipe

Dry Ingredients
3 cups blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Wet Ingredients
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs, whisked
3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and spritz with nonstick cooking spray, set aside. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mash bananas. Add honey. Mix in eggs, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Spoon batter into lined muffin pans until they are at least 3/4 full. Makes 12 large muffins. Bake for 18-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. These are moist muffins.

Pin It!