Tuesday, September 20, 2011

gluten free peach crisp for one -- an almond flour recipe


The past few weeks I've been using a lot of blanched almond flour in my baking. I am doing this to cut back on sugar and carbohydrates in my overall food plan. Over the past few years I experimented with this low glycemic flour thanks to Elana Amsterdam and her cookbooks... but I've never used it as exclusively as I have the past few weeks... and you know what?

It is SO stinkin' easy!

I had forgotten how incredibly easy it is to use almond flour in baking, especially when you're gluten free. Almond flour is quite healthy as it's high in protein and fiber. To learn more about why I use this flour, check out my GF Baking 101 page.

I've been meaning to share my recipe for an almond flour peach crisp the past few weeks.  I've made it in the oven, in the slow cooker, and now even in the microwave. I meant to make another batch this week so I could take a few good photos of the crisp, but so far I haven't had the time. Yet.... I had a real hankerin' for peach crisp tonight. So I decided to make a personal peach crisp for one. To lightly sweeten the peach crisp, I used a little bit of coconut sugar... but if you'd rather, feel free to use regular sugar or leave it out completely.

I'd say I made this crisp just for you, but I didn't... it was for me. :-P All me. And I enjoyed every single bite of it! But I will be nice enough to share the recipe...

Gluten Free Peach Crisp for One
free of gluten, grains, white sugar, eggs, corn, soy, dairy/casein
created by Carrie of Gingerlemongirl.com
printer-friendly recipe

1 ripe peach, sliced, and peeled if you prefer
3-4 tablespoons blanched almond flour
4 teaspoons coconut sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
tiny pinch salt
2 teaspoons butter, coconut oil, or canola oil

Directions:
  1. Place sliced peach in a microwave safe (or glass) cereal or soup bowl. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar over the peaches. 
  2. Microwave peaches on high for 3 minutes until they are softened and sugar has caramelized. 
  3. In a small bowl mix together blanched almond flour, remaining coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a fork, cut in the butter or coconut oil into the almond flour mixture. 
  4. Sprinkle almond flour mixture on top of the peaches. Cook in microwave on high for 2 minutes. 
  5. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before eating. Don't share. Eat the whole thing and enjoy every single gluten free, grain free morsel!! :-) 

Pin It!