Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gluten Free Vegan German Chocolate Cake Recipe


Gluten Free, Vegan German Chocolate Cake anyone? Anyone? I've made this cake twice during the past two weeks, first for a gluten free cookout with some dear friends & then for Easter Sunday. 

It was a hit. I had completely forgotten how much I LOVE German Chocolate Cake. I haven't had it in YEARS. It was memorable for me to make this cake because it was a favorite of my great-grandmother's. I miss her so much! I know she would have been proud of this cake. (Well she wouldn't have understood the point of the whole vegan thing, but that's okay! lol) 

This cake is actually quite simple to make! I simply took my favorite gluten free chocolate cake recipe and then added Susan of FatFreeVegan's German Chocolate Cake filling. I chose Susan's filling because it didn't use any artificial ingredients and I wanted a recipe that was casein free/ dairy free.

That's it! 

I did make some changes, but they were slight: 
That's all I changed. Everything else was the same and you can better believe I'll be making this dessert for YEARS to come! I loved making it. It was cathartic to me and very meaningful to know that I had learned how to make a gluten free version of one of the cakes my great-grandmother made when I was growing up!

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have!

Thoughtfully,
Carrie

PS... I will be attending the Charlotte NC GF/AF Expo this weekend. If you're in the area, please stop by! Tickets are still available for $10 at the door -- a serious STEAL for the amount of programs being presented and the incredible number of vendors that will be there!!  I hope to meet you there!
Pin It!