Saturday, June 12, 2010

30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals: Day 6 - Nicola's Turkey Burgers

Welcome to 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals!

Day 6: G-free Mom's Homemade Turkey Burgers

My son has been on a gluten free diet for just over three weeks now and so (by default) has the rest of the family. I’m pretty new to this game, but am learning fast and am loving sharing the experience and getting great feedback and increased knowledge along the way.


Ginger lemon girl has it absolutely right. Trying to make quick and easy healthy gluten free meals for my kids (who are 7 and 4), every day is quite some challenge. When I was told to change my 7 year old's diet, I started by getting all fancy and complicated. I was trawling through cookbooks endlessly, spending far too much time in the grocery store looking for ingredients and then putting the kids in front of tv for up to an hour, just to hear them say “that looks yukky”.

I’ve quickly changed tactics and now I’m all about finding stuff that my kids love, making a gluten and dairy free version of it and aiming to do it in 30 minutes or under. I’ve concluded that meal making shouldn’t encroach more on my quality time with my kids than absolutely necessary. Any baking gets done at weekends, evenings, or with the kids.

My son’s well being, behavior, and mood in general has changed significantly since we changed our diet. He tells everyone that “it’s a healthier way of life.” I tend to agree.

I talk about our daily challenges, share my findings and post recipe ideas on www.gfreemom.com.


G-free Mom's Homemade Turkey Burgers
Makes 4 large burgers

1lb turkey mince (ground turkey)
3 salad onions (scallions), finely chopped
Handful of Italian flat leafed parsley, finely chopped
Black pepper, to taste
Olive oil to baste

Directions:
This is as easy and as tasty as it gets:

1. Mix all of the ingredients
2. Shape into 4 burgers
3. Brush with olive oil and pop on the BBQ, on a griddle, or in a frying pan until burgers are cooked through.
4. Enjoy with gluten free ketchup, gluten free pasta and some kid friendly vegetables.



About G-free Mom:
Nicola is a new gluten free mom & blogger. Nicola is brand new to cooking gluten free meals for her son, yet she's already sharing her easy & quick G-free recipes! Many thanks Nicola for sending your wonderful recipe!!

************


Stay tuned to Day 7 of 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals. Tomorrow Erica, of Erica Miss America, will be cooking with Shirataki noodles and fresh greens! I can't wait!


Pin It!