Saturday, August 2, 2008

Apple Berry Fruit Leather (Gluten Free)


So what do you do with 4 apples that have seen better days and a small pint of strawberries showing their age? Make fruit leather! That's what's you do!

Inspired by a recent post on Simply Recipes, I knew just what to do with my withering fruit.

I didn't exactly follow Elise's instructions, but I was able to figure out how to create these yummy fruit strips with no problems! Make sure to visit her site for a great step-by-step post!

Here is how I made the fruit leather! I've found another great use for my rice cooker! Have fun!!


How To Make Fruit Leather


1. Peel, core, and dice the fruit you wish to use. I used 4 old apples and about 1 pint of very ripe strawberries. Next time I will try to use more fruit since my strips were thinner than I really wanted them to be!

2. I placed all the fruit in my rice cooker with about 1/4 cup of water and set it on the COOK setting for about 1 hour, or until the fruit is REALLY mushy and well done.

3. Next I mashed the fruit together with a potato masher. Once the fruit was all completely combined and mashed, I set it aside to cool for about 30 minutes.

4. Pour the cooled fruit into your blender and puree until the fruit is very, very fine like a smoothie.

5. Line a jelly-pan with plastic wrap. I sprayed the plastic wrap with non-stick spray, but I don't think this is actually necessary. Pour the pureed fruit onto the plastic wrap and spread out until about 1/8th inch thickness.

6. Turn your oven onto 150 degrees and place the pan of fruit in the oven, and leave it there forever. Really. Forever. ;-P

7. Okay, not forever, but you'll leave it there for about 8 hours, or until the fruit leather feels like those fruit-rollups that you used to love as a kid. (Except without all that terrible high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and food coloring!!! Yay!!)

8. Cut the fruit leather up into strips and serve! Enjoy!!

Have fun and let your kids help out with this!


COOKING NOTES:



- Elise felt the need to add spices and some sugar to the mashed fruit. I found this completely unnecessary. The fruit was sweet enough on it's own and the combination of strawberries and apples was delicious!



- Next time I will definitely use more fruit for a thicker fruit leather. You can find better measurements for fruits on
Elise's post.


Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent recipe! This looks really easy to do, I'll be trying it with my children. I have a mango that needs transforming into something, and I think this something is it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, Carrie. Maybe a great way to clean out an overfull fruit bowl. It'd be great to take camping too! Thanks! :) Hope you're doing well & enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie,

    Fruit leathers are a great idea! I'm still enjoying my cobbler-of-the-week, every week. I use whatever fruit is overripe today.

    Off the subject, I saw a zucchini bread recipe on someone's blog a while ago. Now I can't find it. Have you run across one? I'll be in garden squash overload soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry Apple Fruit Leather sounds like a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog has given me renewed encouragement/hope to follow a gluten free diet. I have been trying to follow a gluten free diet for about 4 or 5 years now. When I first went gluten free...it was overwhelming but then I started to get into it & played around with gluten free baking...I've never gotten as good at it as you though : ) Well anyway being gluten free can be hard & it has can be discouraging when I have a large family that is not gluten free. Although the majority of my cooking is gluten free. But it's hard when they order pizza....I just have to have some & then my tummy & mood seems to pay for it later.
    So thank you for sharing your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke -- Ohhhh!! Mango fruit leather! Now THAT would be good!!! Yumm!!!

    Jeanine - That's exactly what I was doing!! Cleaning out a fruit bowl! lol It works great for that! Enjoy them camping!!

    Kay -- You need to share some of your cobblers of the week!! ;-) I'd love a cobbler!! I haven't seen that zucchini bread recipe, but that sounds like a fantastic idea!!

    Rachel -- Thank you!!

    His Tender Mercies -- Oh trust me... I have my days. I know how to make an AWESOME gluten free pizza crust and pizza, please feel free to email me for the recipe and how to make it! Your family will never want to order out again! ;-) I'm glad I could help you out! I'd love to email you and talk to you about my own GF struggles and how to deal with them, so feel free to email me if you'd like at gingerlemon_girl(at)yahoo(dot)com! Thanks so much for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I barely use a recipe at all for my cobblers anymore. I start with a stick of softened butter. Then add 1 3/4 C flour/oatmeal/rice bran mix and about 1 C (sometimes more) of milled cane sugar. I freeze half of this batch for my next cobbler.

    Then I pile whatever fruits are ripe into my grandma's 7" square Corning Ware casserole dish. It's white with blue flowers. Your grandma probably had one, too. I sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake at 350 until the fruit is bubbly and the top just starts to brown. Probably 35 to 40minutes.

    Cherries and rhubarb need more sugar. Blueberries, peaches and apples need a squeeze of lemon juice. I sprinkle some cinnamon over the fruit when it seems appropriate. I frequently combine fruits. Peach blueberry is one of my favorites. And I've added a little rhubarb to apples, blueberries and cherries.

    I'm still having baking soda/baking powder issues. So cobblers are a safe alternative.

    I hope I can find and adapt a zucchini bread recipe using aluminum-free baking soda and vinegar instead of the cream of tartar in the baking powder. Sounds like a science fair project, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant and so simple! I have some pears just ready to be leathered :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just a note: if you are trying to avoid using plastics.... I use parchment paper whenever I use my dehydrator. Food doesn't stick and then I just recycle it. Very cheap and easy to clean up... Also, I often grind up small amounts of flax seeds and add that to the fruit leather.
    Another great combo is bananas, coconut, peanuts or almonds, it makes a peanut brittle type snack.
    Nini203a@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs