Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Simple Sugar-Free Cake



I love cake.

Being sugar-free this month has been quite a limitation for me. Yet, I'm glad Michael and I choose do this. It's a vivid reminder of how often, especially in the American culture, we satisfy ourselves with sugary foods. I think it's an undiagnosed disease in this country. We medicate ourselves with sugar. I know I do. If I've had a bad day... If I don't feel good... Even if I'm just tired... or if I'm vegging out in front of the tv... I often crave something sweet.

I've tried to wean myself off sugar this month by drinking fruit juice diluted with water or using a little honey on toasted gluten-free bread. And even occasionally indulging in a "sugar free" treat like some ice-creams, even though I really don't promote using artificial sweeteners. But it's hard for me.

On Monday, I finally caved in.




No. I didn't eat a candy bar, or a box of ice-cream... I caved in by making a "sugar-free" cake. You see, I feel like when we use artificial sweeteners, it only prolongs our cravings for sugar... but sometimes you just have to give in. I will readily admit this cake would be better with regular granulated sugar. But, it was very good with Splenda and agave nectar, and helped tremendously with that sugar craving!

I would like to try this cake using honey only (no splenda), as a honey cinnamon cake. I think it would be delicious at an afternoon tea!

I named this a "Snickerdoodle" cake, because snickerdoodles were the first cookie I ever baked as a child. I love the cinnamon in the cookies and it makes for a fabulous cake! While most of this cake has been eaten, it's been two days and is still very moist (when kept in an air-tight container) and would be excellent with a dollop of whipped cream on top for serving!




A Delightful "Snickerdoodle" Cake


Dry Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup sorghum flour
  • 2/3 cup brown rice flour
  • 2/3 cup soy flour (or rice or tapioca flour)
  • 1 1/4 cups Splenda
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp. powdered milk
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon (use less if you prefer a less spicy cake!)
Wet Ingredients
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup fat free yogurt
  • 4 tbsp. melted butter
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bundt pan or 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray. Mix all dry ingredients together until throughly incorporated in a large bowl. In another bowl whisk egg whites until they form a stiff peak. In a medium sized bowl mix together egg yolks, vanilla, agave nectar, fat free yogurt, butter. Add in dry mixture alternately with water. Last, fold in whisked egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

NOTE: I used dry, powdered milk in this cake because I mixed the dry ingredients ahead of time to use when traveling. You can of course leave out the dry milk, and use regular milk (or condensed milk, soy, rice, or a nut milk) in place of the water called for.

For a printer friendly version, click here.




******


Coming up later this week: A warm and delicious soup!





Pin It!