Friday, January 18, 2008

Aunt Linda's Amazing Broccoli Puff


My Aunt Linda is one amazing lady. She's a caring nurse. She's an incredible mom to three wonderful (now grown) kids. She's a talented decorator. And to top it all off, she's a great cook! I always get excited when we are planning to visit my Aunt Linda and Uncle Mike because I know I'm going to learn something special in her kitchen.

On our last visit, Linda shared with me her new love for smoked paprika. After opening her container and getting a whiff, I could see why she was so amazed! The aroma of this sweet but smoky pepper was incredible! I can't wait to try some! If you don't have smoked paprika in your pantry... you should!

Linda also shared the recipe for her "famous" broccoli puff. It sounds a little "50's housewife-ish" ... but this is not your mama's broccoli puff! This is a light (well, not calorie-wise) fluffy topping that you place on prepared broccoli and put under a broiler to "puff" up right before serving. I love the tanginess of the flavors in this puff. It reminds me of my favorite artichoke dip because of the taste that the mayonnaise and swiss cheese lend.

We love broccoli at the Ginger Lemon Girl household, and we'll be serving this more often! This is a different and fun way to prepare it!! Try it and tell me what you think!



Aunt Linda's Amazing Broccoli Puff

  • 2 bunches broccoli, cut into spears and cooked according to desired tenderness
  • 2 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (a low-fat or light brand would probably work as well -- I used Dukes)
  • Annatto (optional, for sprinkling on top for color)
Directions:
Arrange hot broccoli in a greased (broiler proof) casserole dish. In a small bowl with a mixer or whisk, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold in swiss cheese and mayonnaise and spoon evenly over broccoli. Sprinkle annatto over puff as desired. Broil for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown on top! Serve immediately!

For a printer friendly version, click here.


* This post is also shared with "A Gluten Free Holiday" hosted by Diane of The WHOLE Gang on 12/2/2010. 
Pin It!