Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What's in a name...



Slacker Mom (aka Mrs. GF) noticed this week that I'm posting a recipe for Ginger Lemon Muffins. She asked if that was the inspiration for the name of my blog. Good question! I guess it does need an explanation. No, the muffins aren't necessarily the reason for the name, although I must admit, they are delicious enough to name a blog after...



Actually, I'm rather "Plain Jane". My absolute favorite kitchen spices are cinnamon and vanilla. (As you have probably already noticed in many of my dessert and baked goods recipes.) But my favorite cake is a simple Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce! Thus the name, Ginger Lemon Girl... in honor of my favorite cake. Truly, this simple cake with the warm, spicy sweetness of ginger and the tart, delicate lemon sauce, is the best cake in the world (in my humble opinion!) The gingerbread recipe that I have used for years will have to be revamped to be gluten-free, but I'm not worried, I think it will still be my favorite cake! I'll be posting a Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce recipe closer to the Christmas holidays.




As for these muffins though.... they are so much more than good. They are decadent. They are spicy sweet, and lovingly tart all at the same time. I always feel like muffins in general get dismissed by many gourmets as something too easy to create. Too below the skill of a gourmet.


Not so. Muffins, really good muffins, are an art. A muffin is usually slightly sweet, moist - but only just, deliciously crumbly but firm, and is a quick but beautifully risen bread. To make a muffin like this, it takes some skill. I must admit I am still learning, and now re-learning with gluten-free flours.


These Ginger Lemon Muffins are the kind of muffins that are "Bed and Breakfast" worthy. Trust me, you'd be asking the innkeeper for this recipe. (As a matter of fact you can check out the fully gluten-loaded recipe here.) Below, is my revised GF version. These muffins are warm and filling, and will make you feel loved.






Ginger Lemon Muffins

  • 2/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 2/3 cup brown rice flour
  • 2/3 cup sorghum flour
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 eggs, with yolks and whites separated
  • 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup butter, or a heart-healthy oil (I use Smartbeat Omega3 Oil)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (or zest from one small lemon)
  • 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger (or candied ginger if you prefer)
Glaze:
  • Juice of one Lemon
  • 3-4 Tbsp. confectioners sugar (or more to meet the glaze consistency you prefer)

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, yogurt, butter or oil, sugar, ginger, and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold just until combined. In another bowl whip egg whites until stiff. SLOWLY fold the whipped egg whites into the muffin batter. Spoon into a greased muffin tin (makes 10 large muffins or 12-14 smaller muffins) and bake for 17-18 minutes. Watch closely so that they do NOT overcook.



While muffins are baking, mix lemon juice and confectioners sugar. When muffins are done and have cooled for 5-10 minutes, drizzle with glaze. Serve immediately.

********


Check back tomorrow for a super quick delicious chicken marinara bake!





Pin It!