Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gluten Free Beef Italian Skillet Meal (Goulash) Recipe



Here's another favorite recipe from my college days. I'm sure we all grew up eating a basic ground beef casserole like this either with rice or noodles. As a child, I remember from a cookbook that was published by my local elementary school they called this "goulash." I thought that was a really cool name!

My friend Susan shared this recipe with me when I was in college. I remember she came over to my apartment and we made this along with a salad and just enjoyed cooking together. I still have the index card that she wrote the recipe on for me.

This is a super simple, hearty meal that my husband loved. It's easy with just a few simple ingredients and gluten free noodles.

For a casein free topping, I sprinkled blanched almond flour on the top of our servings!

Susan's Beef Italian Skillet Meal
free of gluten, casein/dairy, soy, corn, and eggs
Adapted by Carrie @ www.gingerlemongirl.com
printer-friendly recipe

1 1/2 cups gluten free pasta of your choice (I used these rice noodles from a local Asian market -- they don't get mushy!)
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce + 1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons blanched almond flour (or parmesan cheese) to sprinkle on top of each serving

Directions:
Cook gluten free noodles according to package directions until "al dente" or still slightly firm. Rinse with COLD water to completely stop the cooking process, drain and set aside. Brown ground beef in a large skillet or dutch oven. Add onions and celery and saute for about 5 minutes until onions are soft and transparent. Add garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Mix tomato sauce with water and add to ground beef and vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes until mixture is bubbling and heated through. Add cooked pasta to skillet and stir to coat noodles with sauce. Simmer for additional 5 minutes and serve. Sprinkle servings with blanched almond flour or parmesan cheese. Serve with green beans or a salad! Picky kid & husband friendly! Enjoy!
Pin It!