I've made quite a few banana nut muffins over the years... such as these, and these, and even these... but yesterday I just wanted the easiest recipe I could find.
I flipped through my baking cookbook and found a recipe that used my "master baking mix" (you could substitute gluten-free bi$quick or your favorite all-purpose GF baking mix) but I didn't have any on hand... so I made it work for what I did have on hand:
Simple Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins
gluten-free, can be dairy-free, no xanthan or guar gums, can be egg-free
2 cups gluten-free flour of YOUR choice -OR- my current favorite blend:
-2/3 cup brown rice flour
-2/3 cup arrowroot starch
-2/3 cup almond flour (I prefer Honeyville)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
2 medium bananas, mashed to oblivion (about 1 cup of banana puree)
2 large eggs (or egg substitutes)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup non-dairy milk mixed with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
2 tablespoons lite olive oil -or- melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and spritz them with non-stick cooling oil or lite olive oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and just mix until all the dry ingredients have been thoroughly incorporated into the wet ingredients.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, spoon batter into a greased or paper-lined muffin tins until at least 3/4 full - but you can fill to the top, they will just rise taller.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, testing the middle with a toothpick inserted in the middle (should come out clean) to make sure the muffins are done.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve. These muffins can be stored on the counter for up to 3 days and they will retain their moisture. I would freeze them in small packages after that.
|Michael's mom playing with Charlie during a recent visit...|
In other news... I'm headed towards the end of my first graduate class and trying to get caught up on my last few assignments... because this final paper is not going to write itself...
Michael had a double ear-infection over the past week and I hope I NEVER have to see him go through something like that again. Talk about serious pain. I felt so bad for him. Thankfully after 3 trips to the doctor and 2 rounds of antibiotics + a huge antibiotic shot over the past three weeks, he's doing much better. And trust me on this one...after all that medication, give your loved ones probiotics... probiotics are the bee's knees my friends! Do it people!
I can't believe how FAST this semester has flown by.... I'm not sure if it's because I'm older and time in general seems to go by faster now or if school just has a way of making life do that... but I kinda wish it would slow down a bit! :-)
Happy Fall Everyone!
|This guy has been lurking in the pecan tree over the past few weeks! We still can't believe he let Michael get this close!|
|Best buddies for life! Charlie & Whiskey Jack|
|So THIS was the publication that people |
found a familiar face in...
|It's actually a 2nd printing from last year, which was why I was so surprised to see it! |
Fun to see yourself in the drug store magazine selection though! :-)
|Our super sweet niece Cheyenne...|
|Cheyenne decided I needed a friend to take home with me...|
heart = melted!
|Michael took this at the duck pond at work one morning. I love fall sunrises!|
|Michael and his siblings. So good to see them all together!|
|Fall decluttering... it took two loads to get it all in the car to Goodwill... and I'm not done yet...|
|Charlie's favorite spot!|
|A favorite shot of my father-in-law.. love this guy!|
|Gluten-free cupcakes I made for a friend's birthday.|
I loved how the frosting turned out (Good ol' Pillsbury...). Used this recipe.
|All the snuggles and the sticking out of tongues!|