Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cumin Honey Salad Dressing Recipe

My favorite shredded cabbage

Last night was grocery night, on grocery nights in addition to getting a week's worth of food, it's also the night I try to buy something super quick for dinner. Because after grocery shopping who wants to spend hours making dinner? (Well, I don't... lol) I bought some of our favorite chicken salad from a local barbecue chain and some sweet potato patties (you southerners will know what those are... lol.... my husband loves them!)

And to round out the meal I decided to use up a package of angel hair coleslaw I had at home. Why do I buy pre-cut cabbage? Because it's easy, that's why... :-) And it makes awesome low carb gluten-free "noodles"... no, it really does! Try the 'angel hair coleslaw' in your chicken soup!

But I wasn't feeling it for a mayo-based coleslaw. So I decided to play with the recipe they had on the package which was for a basic vinegar & oil type dressing.


I made a bunch of substitutions since I didn't have everything the recipe called for. We tried it and it was good, but it needed something. I asked Michael to taste it and tell me what was missing. He tried it and thought for a minute and then said, "Vinegar. It needs some bite... and maybe a little more honey." 

He's getting better at this than I am. 

Because he was absolutely right. That's exactly what it needed. A little bit more bite. A little bit more sweetness. Voila... a brand new, no-mayo coleslaw! 

And the fresh parley throughout the mix.. seriously awesome! If you're a fan of cilantro, use that instead, it will really enhance the flavor of the cumin.


Cumin Honey Dressing for Salads
free of gluten, dairy/casein, soy, and eggs
adapted by Carrie & Michael Forbes, from a recipe on the Dole Angel Hair Coleslaw package
printer-friendly recipe

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons white balsamic raspberry vinegar (I used this kind, but use any kind of balsamic vinegar!)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Directions: 
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together all ingredients. If using immediately add 1 (10 oz.) package of salad mix or shredded cabbage for coleslaw. If saving for a future use simply pour into a glass jar with an airtight lid. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

PS... we also added sliced almonds and toasted sesame seeds to each serving! Really good.


Pin It!