Monday, August 27, 2012

This Week's Menu - Slow Cooking on Sundays

I just started a new series on the blog entitled, "How to be gluten-free on a TIGHT budget" on my first post, I shared a recent shopping trip. We spent $42.77. 

Here's what we got: 

I know, the english muffins are NOT gf... those are hubs -- he has breakfast
"McMuffin" sandwiches every day during the week.
Those waffles though definitely ARE GF and after the BOGO sale + a coupon
they were .89 a box! :-) 

The grocery items were what I needed to make the recipes on our meal plan for this week. I've gotten into the habit of cooking on Sunday nights or Monday nights (whichever is easiest) and I cook for the entire week: breakfasts, lunches, dinners, (and what I hope to incorporate this month) afternoon snacks. 

One of the keys to cooking everything one night a week is using my slow cookers. Newer slow cookers cook hotter and faster than older ones (especially on high heat), so I can cook as many meals as I have slow cookers and in 3-4 hours they are all cooked and ready for the week ahead. 

Most of the meals I made this week are from my upcoming slow cooker cookbook

This Week's Menu: 

Dinner & Leftovers for lunch each day: 

  • For Carrie -- soaked oatmeal (I'll post about this soon!) with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds + 1 fried egg and 1 slice bacon (made enough for each morning at work this week.) 
  • For Michael -- a homemade "McMuffin" each morning -- made from one english muffin with a fried egg, 1 slice of turkey bacon, and 1 slice of cheese. He's hooked on these, but says he has a much better day when eating these than Poptarts... go figure.. lol

Check out hundreds of more menus at Org Junkie.
For specifically gluten-free menus, check out the roundup at Angela's Kitchen today!

Pin It!


  1. Such a fab idea! But how much longer til that cookbook is available? I'm in desperate need of more gf slow cooker recipes!

  2. Hi Samantha! The cookbook will be released on October 18th!! I'm very excited and I hope you'll love it! You can get it for a super reduced price if you pre-order on Amazon right now!! It's half the retail price!

  3. Hi, Carrie! I was just thinking last week, that I needed to find some new slow-cooker recipes. Excited for your new cookbook! Have a great week...and holiday weekend.

  4. I am so thrilled for you that the cookbook is coming out soon!! I can't wait! Just got you menu all linked up to the swap. It sounds delicious. I will be following your budget series. Brilliant! So timely and needed. :) Have a wonderful week, Carrie!