Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Make It Gluten Free Tuesdays: Quick Broccoli Casserole Recipe


I don't know about you... but what you see above? That's my favorite kinda recipe. That's Michael's Aunt Terri's Quick Broccoli Casserole. It's FAMOUS at our holiday meals and family reunions. I love hand-written recipes shared with friends and family. It's kind of rare now-a-days. A lost art of sorts. I love this recipe because it's very similar to one my great-grandmother used to make as well. She loved Cheez Whiz (which believe it or not IS gluten free!) and cream of chicken soup. I mean really... whose mom DIDN'T love "already-prepared-casserole-super-star", cream of chicken soup?

Admittedly, I enjoy just having recipes like this... reading them... treasuring the love which went into sharing them more than I do actually making these recipes (which use super processed products)... AND I think they are still super fun to share. And for the food nazis (just to be clear)... I am NOT suggesting you go out and fill your pantries with processed franken-food -- I'm just sharing with you how to change those favorite recipes IF you would like to do so! See how easy that is? No need to rant and rave. 

And I can't tell you how often I get an email asking something along the lines of... "So my grandmother used to make this recipe with so-and-so, and so-and-so... how in the WORLD can I re-create that gluten free?" So I thought it would be a fun series on this blog to share hand-written recipes I have from my grandmother, my great-grandma P., and various friends and neighbors and tell you how I would make them gluten free. Sound like a plan?

Would you like to join me? I'd like to make this a weekly link up series. You can share how you would make a recipe healthier, how to make it gluten free, dairy free, egg free, allergen free... etc... I love seeing these old recipes and I love figuring out how to make them new again!

So here's how I would make this recipe gluten free:

Aunt Terri's Quick Broccoli Casserole
revised to be gluten free (with dairy-free options)
printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup green pepper, finely diced
2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil for dairy free)
1 recipe gluten free cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup COOKED rice
1 small (8 oz.) jar Cheez Whiz (if you're dairy free, check out this homemade dairy-free cheeze sauce instead)
1 small (5 oz.) can evaporated milk (if you're dairy free, try using full-fat coconut milk)
2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped broccoli

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Saute onion & green pepper in butter in a hot skillet. Stir in cooked rice, Cheez Whiz, milk, and soup. Stir continuously until cheez whiz is melted. Thaw broccoli and drain any liquid. Add drained broccoli to a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Pour sauce evenly over the broccoli. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes until hot & bubbly. Yields 6 servings.



Now if you'd like a healthier version of gluten free broccoli casserole? 
Here are great options:


***********************

Now it's your turn!
Do you have a favorite family recipe that you re-created to be gluten free? It can be a new post, an old post, a post you've edited! Just link back to my page to be included! That's it!


Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Came across your site through Twitter ☺ I don't have a recipe posted yet for this week, but hope to get one out later this afternoon and will certainly add you linky to the others that I participate in. I host a recipe hop 'Made From Scratch' Mondays if you are interested in joining in with our on any week.
    Last week, I shared a recipe for Broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole that was a little different. Yours sounds really tasty as well. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary!! I look forward to seeing your recipes in the future! So glad you commented!!

      Delete
  2. Such fun. I'll plan to be on board by next Tuesday. I have been outrageously lazy lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! I can't wait to see your paleo versions of your favorite recipes Pamela!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Carrie,

    I shared my Gluten-Free Lasagna recipe. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fin idea Carrie, I look fwd to participating! I shared a re-creation of the infamous and gross nacho cheese sauce of my youth....made healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun blog event! Thanks for sharing my broccoli casserole - that's a dish that simply MUST be made at our Thanksgiving every year. I shared my quinoa pizza crust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie,
    What a great idea! I have a binder full of some good old hand written recipes and a few well worn newspaper clippings that I've been meaning to go through, update and convert to gluten free. Now I have a motive for getting it done!

    See you on Tuesday, if not sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carrie,

    I just found your new link party from Ricki's blog. So fun!

    I'm sharing 2 recipes:

    (1) Lemon Ginger Cookie Chews (just posted these tonight)

    http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/05/lemon-ginger-cookie-chews-with-lemon.html

    (2) Strawberry Gluten Free Teff Pancakes

    http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/05/on-farm-strawberry-picking-strawberry.html

    Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs