Monday, April 30, 2012

Mostly Paleo Weekly Menu Plan -- May 1, 2011


I'm going to try to be a little more diligent about participating with my fellow gluten free blogger friends who post their weekly menus. I think this is a huge help makes life much easier when I actually plan my menu. This week is hosted by Angela of Angela's Kitchen and the theme is "Get Your Grill On."

Our menus these days are mostly paleo. I say mostly because we still eat rice and white potatoes. Oh yeah... and the occasional cookie made with sugar and hubs' penchant for homemade sweet tea...We might eat rice twice a month, potatoes about once a week. Some days I get a hankerin' for a Glutino chocolate cookie, but I limit it to two and that's that.

But for the most part, we've become a paleo family. I like this because it makes meals really simple. Boring? Well, admittedly sometimes it is. But usually it's pretty awesome. When you go paleo you think about meals differently... suddenly zucchini, or broccoli, or even a mashed sweet potato become the base of your meal instead of pasta, rice (like I said, it's occasional, not all the time like it used to be!), or bread. All proteins become fair game for breakfast... and fruit suddenly tastes amazingly sweet for dessert!

The theme this week in the gluten free menu swap is grilling, but we don't grill. We don't have a fancy grill that starts up quickly... only an old charcoal grill that takes forever to heat up... so no grill recipes for us this week! But make sure to check out the other awesome gluten free grillin' recipes at the Gluten Free Menu Swap!

This Week's Mostly Paleo Meal Plan:

Sunday -- Organic all beef hotdogs from Nooherooka Natural with sauerkraut (no buns), hubs will have french fries, I'll have a baked sweet potato with mine. If I have time to make some chili, I might do that as well!

Monday -- An oldie but goodie, Spinach Salad with warm Bacon Dressing, my friend Betty used to make this for dinner all the time when I lived with her after college.

Tuesday -- A quick hash with sauteed yellow squash, onions, and organic ground beef or ground turkey

Wednesday -- I bought baby bok choy this week and needed a good recipe to make with it... found this "Braised Five-Spice Chicken with Vegetables" this looks like the perfect homemade alternative to take out! Yum!

Thursday -- Breakfast for dinner!! Scrambled eggs, link sausage, and maybe a finely-diced cooked sweet potato or sauteed spinach.

Friday -- On the road to visit family! Crossing my fingers this means we'll stop by Red Robin on the way to Western NC... they have some rockin' good gluten free burgers!

Saturday -- Out of Town

Sunday -- Organic ground beef or turkey taco salads with the herbed salad mix I bought (has cilantro in it... SO good for taco salads!!) with diced avocados and diced tomatoes

What are you having? 
Make sure to stop by Angela's kitchen to be included in the gluten free menu swap!! 
Pin It!