Friday, August 12, 2011

{Gluten Free Review} Nutiva Chocolate Hemp Shakes


Here's my favorite summer, on-the-run-breakfast that's been featured in at least a dozen of my gluten free menu plans! I started buying Nutiva Chocolate Hemp Shake back in February when my nutritionist Cheryl, recommend I try them. I had been using a rice protein shake for breakfasts and while the shake contained a lot of vitamins & minerals, it had very little fiber or protein.

Fiber & protein in the right proportions are vital to keeping you full and sustaining you until your next meal. I rely on this shake, boiled eggs, celery w/ peanut butter or almond butter, etc. If I don't have a breakfast with a significant amount of protein (anywhere from 9-20 grams) I'm usually hungry again within 30 minutes.

I love the flavor & consistency of the Nutiva chocolate shake , although I don't follow the directions on the bottle. The bottle says to mix 30 grams powder with only 8 oz. of milk -- I tried that, but it was WAY too thick for my taste. I mix 16-20 oz. of unsweetened almond milk with about 30 grams (about 3 tablespoons) of the chocolate shake powder. I also throw in ice-cubes and sometimes a swirl of chocolate syrup.

I don't have time in the mornings to clean my Vitamix.. so I found these awesome blender bottles that have a wire ball inside of them to help really mix the shake powder with the milk. It works SO much better than mixing in a regular shake container! It does take a good bit of shaking to mix the power thoroughly into the milk... but it's worth the effort. The blender bottles are also BPA free and are super easy to wash, even at work!

Nutiva is an expensive protein shake... but I think for the healthy ingredients it's worth the cost.

Do you have a favorite gluten free protein shake?
Pin It!