I've made two batches of raw vegetable juice in the past two days. I watched this documentary and really felt like I needed up my veggie intake. I could eat fruits all day, but veggies? No, thank you. Sure, I'll eat a salad and steamed broccoli or frozen mixed veggies, but honestly, I have a hard time getting enough vegetable servings a day. After watching the film I thought surely it wouldn't hurt to juice a few veggies every day or every other day and sip them down... right? The first "juice" I made was a mixture of 2 celery stalks, carrots, spinach, and an apple. I used this method with my vitamix to make juice. Here are a few super simple veggie juice recipes if you would like to try them.
I also thought I'd add more veggies to our meals this week by planning two vegetarian dinners. For a few of our meat-based meals, I used recipes from Stephanie O'Dea's Make it Fast, Cook it Slow (I'm using the slow cooker overnight for two meals) and I used several vegetarian recipes from the Quick & Easy McDougall Cookbook. I learned that following a strictly vegan diet does not work for me, but I enjoy the McDougall cookbook for great vegetable recipe ideas! You can also find several of the McDougall recipes available here from Google Books.
Breakfasts & Snacks This Week: chocolate hemp shakes, rice cakes with peanut butter, boiled eggs, "ants on a log", ham & avocado wraps, homemade veggies juices, mixed nuts, almonds, peaches, sliced roasted chicken for snacks w/ rice crackers
Dinners this Week:
- Sunday - Gluten Free Spaghetti & Salad
- Monday - Crock Pot Salsa Chicken served with avocados, black beans, and corn tortillas
- Tuesday - Summer Vegetable Bisque from the McDougall Quick & Easy cookbook
- Wednesday - Crock Pot Ground Beef Sloppy Joes on GF Buns and fries
- Thursday - Black-Eyed Pea Scramble from the McDougall Quick & Easy cookbook with a salad
- Friday - Gluten Free Toast Pizzas with steamed broccoli
- Saturday - Out for Dinner (or) Ham & "cheese (daiya)" omelets with fruit salad
- Sunday - Roast chicken (or) homemade hot dog & baked beans casserole with steamed veggies