Wednesday, June 9, 2010

30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy: Day 3 - Brooke's Veggie Stir Fry

Welcome to 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals!

Today's post is written by Brooke, author of: Gluten Free... Who? Me?


Day 3: Veggie Stir Fry & Garbanzo Bean Cake


Not only am I a newbie on the blogging scene, I’m pretty new to the whole gluten-free thing too. When I first started my blog "Gluten Free…Who? ME?" it was out of a desire to create a virtual file cabinet for my out-of-control life. As if being a relatively new wife, new homeowner, newly graduated Social Worker, and in the first year of my first big-girl job wasn’t enough – I was diagnosed with celiac disease.

Basically, I was in the midst of complete chaos. Life was so chaotic with all the new things happening, especially with the celiac diagnosis, I felt like my life made no sense whatsoever. In my effort to get my own thoughts out of my head I decided to start a blog.

If you have the opportunity to stop by my blog please don’t hesitate to share any advice you might have – I’m still learning about blogging and being gluten free – in oh so many ways!

But for today I want to share one of my favorite recipes of all time, and now an even more important staple in our home since going gluten free.

This stir-fry is vegetarian and completely delicious – with so many vegetables adding a variety of textures you don’t even miss the meat (my committed carnivore husband even agrees).

You can certainly thinly slice some chicken, steak, or toss in a few shrimp if you would like; however, I really don’t think you’ll miss a thing. You’ll notice that I managed to track down some amazing gluten-free stir-fry sauce!

I found the sauce at Wegmans and it can also be ordered online as well. The entire recipe is so fresh, so simple, and so quick – you’ll have dinner on the table and all your daily vegetable servings done in no time!



Recipe for Veggie Stir-Fry (serves 4)
Originally posted @ Gluten Free...Who?Me?

6 cups fresh Veggies of choice (I used 2 cups of broccoli and mushrooms, 1 cup of peppers and baby carrots, and 1/2 cup of onions.)
1 can baby corn
1 can water chestnuts
1 bottle Wheat-Free/Gluten Free Premier Japan Teriyaki Sauce
Season to taste (I used ground ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper)

Use a little EVOO in a large pan or wok and add in the onions and garlic first. After you add each new veggies group drizzle some of the stir-fry sauce on top. Next the carrots (take about 5-10minutes for these), then add in the broccoli and peppers (give those about 5 minutes), and in the rest of the veggies and both cans (drain first), and give them about 10 minutes to all come together. Add in the spices and any remaining sauce - cook for about 5 minutes more and your done!

I served mine over brown rice and added about 1 T of stir-fry sauce to the boiling water.


And, I would not be true to myself if I didn’t share one of my favorite recipes since going gluten free – Flourless Chocolate Cake. I love this because I am not one for having to deal with flour mixes, gums, and whatever else gets concocted together to re-create wheat flour. I like simple and easy. And this recipe is not only simple and easy to prepare, it’s also pretty darn healthy too!
I really hope you’ll give it a go, even though you may find one of the ingredients to be a little…well…unusual.


Garbanzo Bean Cake:
originally posted @ Gluten Free...Who? Me?

2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
2.25 cups of garbanzo beans, rinse and drain
4 eggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a blender (I know its strange, just do it!) mix the beans, eggs, sugar, and baking powder.
Place 1.5 cups of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes. Stop to stir every 30 seconds. And the chocolate to the blender and blend to combine. Add the remaining chips and just stir to mix in.
Prepare a round baking pan (be sure to use a gluten free cooking spray or flower to coat - this cake is very dense and sticky so you want to be sure it lifts out later) and then dump the blended mixture in. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.

Suggested Toppings:

2 cups frozen raspberries (Place in microwave safe bowl, add two tablespoons jelly - whatever is on hand, and heat for 2 minutes or so in the microwave)
Powdered sugar to dust over top
French vanilla icecream
Any fresh fruit
Whipped cream
More chocolate
I could continue...but I think you get the picture...

Thanks so much to Carrie for allowing me as a newbie to share a little bit of my story and a few of the recipes I’ve fallen for since going gluten-free.



About Brooke (also known as "Ness"), author of Gluten Free... Who? Me?

Brooke is a new gluten free blogger. She's in her early 20's, is newly married, and spends her free time with her husband & two "kids" (doxies). Brooke works for a non-profit as a Social Worker and is very thankful for the daily opportunities she has to work with children who have survived brain injuries. Thanks so much for sharing a little about yourself and a few of your quick and easy gluten free recipes with us Brooke!
***********

Stay Tuned for Day 4 of 30 Days Gluten Free Quick & Easy Meals. Tomorrow Rebekah @ TheHappyTummy will share a super easy salmon recipe.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Your veggie stir-fry looks like a great recipe! Given all those vegetables, I understand what you meant when you said that you won't miss the meat!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice - I agree, Brooke's stir fry with all those fresh beautiful vegetables must be super filling & delicious! I'm definitely giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I also love garbanzo bean cake! It's so rich and decadent, yet you feel just a little bit healthier knowing you're at least getting some protein and fiber with all that sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garbonzo beans in savory and sweet dishes. I've made a flourless cake using garbonzo beans before and was thrilled with the taste and texture. And, the stir fry sounds fantastic, too! Nice to meet you Brooke, and thanks!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lovely comments! I am loving cooking gluten-free and love all the support and inspiration from others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good; I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs