Saturday, May 8, 2010

CSA Week One: Lettuce, Radishes, Lots of Greens


It's the first week of our summer CSA (community supported agriculture). I love this time of year & getting our boxes of fresh produce each week. We started using a CSA last year.

This year we ordered from an organic farm that's closer to our home. They also deliver which is wonderful. Plus, we additionally will have fresh eggs delivered each week with our produce.

It's the next best thing to having my own garden & chickens!

This week we received:
  • little white radishes
  • some type of pink radishes
  • a beautiful head of escarole lettuce
  • a bag of colorful swiss chard
  • a bag of a spinach variety
  • several fresh leeks
  • a pint of strawberries
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1 dozen eggs

Now, here's where you come in...

Other than making a really good salad & green smoothies (which I love) I need some help figuring out how to use all these greens & radishes. What are some things you would do with them? Do you have any radish recipes? Any really good (dairy free) spinach recipes?
PLEASE share them with me in the comments below!!

Speaking of green smoothies...For lunch today I took a few leaves of escarole, spinach, and chard. I washed them thoroughly and added them to my blender.



Added in a banana, some frozen blueberries, lots of fresh water, a few superfoods (raw cacao, maca powder, spirulina, raw pumpkin seeds), ice, and some vanilla stevia for sweetness. Blended away...



...and had a really awesome green smoothie! It was so neat to know that all my fresh vegetables & greens were from a farm less than 10 miles away.

Each week this summer I'll post the items we receive in our CSA box and I hope you'll help me figure out what to do with all the farm fresh vegetables and fruits!

If you want to learn more about how to make green smoothies for your own health, please visit Meghan Telpner's amazing blog.

Also if you'd like more green smoothie recipes, please read my series of Green Smoothie blog posts from last year. A whole week's worth of fresh, healthy, green smoothie deliciousness!
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I got this recipe from Whole Food's email letter. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. I'm sure you could leave the feta out.

    Winter Greens with Carrots, Feta Cheese and Brown Rice



    2 carrots, shredded
    2 bunches dark leafy greens (kale, collard greens or Swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves very thinly sliced
    1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
    1 (20-ounce) package 365 Everyday Value frozen Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice, prepared according to package directions


    Serves 4

    Dark leafy greens are the most nutrient-dense foods. That means that they contain more beneficial micronutrients per calorie than any other food, providing incredible nutritional bang for your buck, and in this case they're ready, and very tasty, in less than 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges for even more flavor.

    Method

    Put carrots, greens, onions, 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper into a large, deep skillet and toss well. Cover and cook over medium heat, tossing once or twice, until greens are wilted and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Toss with feta cheese and spoon over brown rice.

    Nutrition

    Per serving (about 14oz/410g-wt.): 290 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 46g total carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 11g protein

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a swiss chard and potato curry. It is very similar to this recipe here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2246,153183-236200,00.html
    I made an Indian Saag a while ago, but alas, that is not dairy free. I don't know if there is a good dairy free alt for the yogurt? http://beyondriceandtofu.com/2010/04/17/recipe-reviews-indian-saag-and-asian-peanut-slaw/
    I don't eat radishes so I don't know what to do with those. My mom used to just eat them fresh and whole with a bit of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radishes are tricky- I suggest slicing them up and pickling them. Follow my regular pickle directions... 1 TBS sea salt, some garlic, dill and/or mustard seeds, cover with water- seal and store for 3 days or so then transfer to the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read about someone frying their radishes like you would make fried potatoes (not the some as french fries.) She mentioned that they tasted very much like potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We are getting out CSA box starting in a couple of weeks. I cannot wait! I chop and toss greens in just about everything. Below are some yummy radish stuff we like to chomp on at my house...

    Epicurious Pickled Radishes (aMAZing!): http://cooknkate.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/home-alone/

    Quinoa with Roasted Radishes and Pearl Onions: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/01/quinoa-with-roasted-radishes-and-pearl.html

    Roasted Radishes with Radish Greens: http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/05/roasted-radishes-with-radish-greens.html

    How I put up extra cooking greens and spinach if I have too many in a week: http://angelaskitchen.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/gluten-free-zer-friday-frozen-spinach/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I'm using a CSA this year, too. I also love getting eggs every week. And this last weekend we got a jar of fresh strawberry jam! Yum.

    Melissa Clarks' newest NYT article is about roasted radishes. Check it out! I bookmarked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bit late, but here is what I do.
    Bring 2-3 cups water to a boil, add a handful of chopped wakame and simmer 5 minutes. Add in 1-2 cloves minced garlic, several sliced raddish (perhaps in half moons), lots of chopped greens, and thinly sliced carrot. Simmer 3-5 minutes until greens are how you like them. Turn off heat, dissolve miso into some of the cooking water and then add to pan. South river miso makes a soy free version. I use 1tsp to 1 Tbsp miso per cup water dapending on how salty you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would use the chard to make Heidi Swanson's Beans & Greens. (I LOVE her recipe. Fantastic with ghee.) You can search for it at 101cookbooks.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is late...BUT! I have a wonderful recipe for radishes that sounds completely weird but tastes great. I don't ever measure but cook them to taste. Start with olive oil in a frying pan. Add about 1 large onion. Add some chopped garlic. Cook until clear. then add several bunches of Radishes that are cleaned and sliced. after they are soft I usually add a can of corn and some fresh chopped asparagus. Cook only until the asparagus is done. I usually pull it off the heat and depending on the sweetness of the radishes add a little honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of mustard. It's really yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Gingerlemongirl.com. I appreciate your comments, ideas, stories, and feedback!

To send me recipes to try or for gluten free baking help, feel free to email me at gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.

Sincerely,
Carrie

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs