Sunday, March 7, 2010

Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger 2/10 Part 2: Tasty Eats at Home


Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa, even though it would sound a lot prettier if it was pronounced as it's written imho! lol) is one of my very favorite grains.

I didn't discover quinoa until I went gluten free, and until very recently had never used it in baking.

But quinoa is aboslutely wonderful in salads and as a hot side dish with all sorts of meals!

When Thomas said he was hosting The Adopt a Gluten Free blogger event for February 2010, I knew it was time to make a quinoa recipe I had bookmarked at Tasty Eats at Home some time ago.

Tasty Eats at Home is a lovely food blog that is written by Alta Mantsch. The blog began as a "regular" food blog, until June 2009 when Alta decided to eliminate gluten from her diet due to a number of GI symptoms she was experiencing. She & her blog have been gluten free ever since.

Tasty Eats at Home has a wonderful mix of American foods and international fare. One of my favorite features on her blog are the "Kids in the Kitchen" posts, in which her children help her with dinner and different recipes. You will find fantastic recipes for Gluten Free Churros, Pan-Fried Trout and Baked Potatoes, and Beef Nachos.




The recipe I tried was Alta's "Quinoa Salad with Spinach, Raisins, and Walnuts." I really loved the mix of flavors here. Quinoa can have a slightly bittersweet taste (even after being rinsed) and that paired with the sweetness of the raisins and the flavor of the walnuts was absolutely wonderful! I ate this salad with my lunches for a week and I always looked forward to it!!

Alta's salad turned out much prettier than mine did, I think in part because she used fresh spinach! The only spinach I had at the time was canned spinach and while it did the job, it made the whole salad green! So stick with fresh spinach to make a pretty salad! :-)

Many thanks to Alta for the wonderful quinoa salad recipe and to Thomas at The GFCF Experience for hosting this month's Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger Event!
Pin It!