Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Reese's" Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Soy Free, Casein Free)

Pardon the sweet indulgence.
Sometimes I just need to BAKE sweet and thankfully I have a meeting so co-workers can help me eat the rest of these lovely cakes.

********

"Reese's" peanut butter cups are one of my favorite candies. I've always loved peanut butter. During summers when I was a little girl, my parents would drive us to a state park in southwest Virginia called Dougthat. On the way to Dougthat was a small shop that sold camping supplies, fishing lures, and Hershey's handscooped icecream for .25 cents a scoop.

These people knew how to serve ice cream. They didn't give you little scoops, they were big whoppin' bowl-size scoops right there in your waffle cone. I always ordered either mint chocolate or peanut butter cup. My favorite was the latter because it had huge frozen peices of peanut butter swirled in the chocolate ice-cream. A perfect sweet and savory combination.

Yesterday my co-worker Jennifer and I were discussing a recent television birthday party. The cake served at the party was a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. And I immediately started wondering why I hadn't thought of this before.

I had the perfect opportunity to get creative last night and whip up a batch of my favorite chocolate cupcakes and I came up with this delicious peanut butter frosting.

Michael and I tried the cupcakes with the new frosting last night and we sat in pure peanut butter heaven. Michael said, "Do ALL of these cupcakes have to go to work with you tomorrow?" ;-)

You be the judge... and tell me what you think! Are you a peanut butter fan too?? If you are, you'll love these cupcakes!



"Reese's" Peanut Butter Cupcakes
(Gluten Free, Soy Free, Casein Free)

1 batch prepared ** everyday chocolate cupcakes **
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
2-4 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)

Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup allergen free chocolate chips
1 tablespoons oil (I used grapeseed oil)
3-4 tablespoons water


In a large bowl mix peanut butter with powdered sugar. Add vanilla and non-dairy milk. You can add more or less milk to create the consistancy you prefer. My icing was almost a glaze consistancy. I may try to make it a bit thicker next time, but I really like the glossy look of the thinner glaze icing.

Spread peanut butter icing over completely cooled cupcakes.

In another glass bowl melt chocolate chips and oil in the microwave on high for 1 minute at a time until melted. Whisk in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a drizzling chocolate sauce consistancy. Drizzle glaze over frosted cupcakes.

Serve immediately or chill.

Makes 12 frosted cupcakes.


*************************

Carrie's Notes:

- On baking the cupcakes: I made 12 cupcakes and baked them for about 20 minutes. You will need to watch these cupcakes carefully in the oven as they will dry out quickly if they are baked TOO long. Start with a baking time of 15 minutes and gently touch the top of a cupcake, if it bounces back it's done. If the top of the cupcake is still a bit doughy continue to bake until it bounces back or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Pin It!