Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How to make Gluten Free Bagels (2.0)




Since making these bagels (and posting about them), I've read a variety of other bagel recipes.



One important method I noticed in these recipes is that apparently my original process of boiling the shaped bagels, letting them rise, and then baking, is not the "authentic" way to make them.



What makes much more sense (and I'm kicking myself for not realizing this!) Is that you FIRST want to let the shaped bagels rise in your 200 degree warmed oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour. THEN boil them (20 seconds on each side) right before baking. This will allow the yeast to work much better in rising the bagels. It will also give a more chewy texture by boiling right before baking. So those of you bagel gurus out there, forgive me! This was first attempt at boiling baked goods! I'm still learning!



Unfortunately, this week I don't have time to test this baking method, as my great-grandmother (whom you will remember from this post -- a personal favorite of mine) had a very bad fall and is in intensive care, so Michael and I will be traveling to be with her.



Until I am able to test these bagels again, I'd love to know how they turn out for you (especially if you make them by following the revised rising and then boiling process above!)



You can find the gluten free bagel recipe and picture tutorial here!


Pin It!