Monday, February 25, 2008

This Week's Menu (Feb 25th - Feb 29th)




Spring is here. Not officially on the calendar. But the daffodils are blooming in eastern NC, which means... it is spring.

We planted white daylilly bulbs and transplanted daffodils into our yard this weekend. The air was crisp and reminiscent of fall, but the bright pastel colors of the new lime green grass and the butter yellow daffodil blooms told a different story. Michael is the green thumb in our family. He told our pastor this weekend that I was an excellent cook and could make anything I put my mind too, but give me a plant and it would be dead in a week. I'll forgive him since he complimented my cooking!






Michael wants our yard full of blossoms this spring. This is the first yard that has ever been "his" and he is really enjoying learning how to landscape. He was outside all day on Saturday and most of Sunday. Thankfully I was just responsible for cooking and cleaning the bathrooms. I can handle that.

In an effort to be more "budget conscious" I'll be trying to make meals from our pantry this week and to some extent for many of our meals in the future. I've gotten into a bad habit of running to the grocery store several times a week for a few little things, and then spending more than I had planned. A grocery store can be very dangerous territory for me. I love shopping for groceries, I have a hard time saying "no" to something not on my list. I can pass up Walmart, Target, and probably any other department store in the book... but grocery shopping is fun to me and I enjoy it way too much!

The ingredient of the week is bananas! I have not always liked bananas, and I am still rather picky about eating them. I do love a good banana nut muffin, and banana breads (like the one Natalie just made) especially with some cream cheese spread on top! I plan on making a banana pudding this week with homemade gluten free vanilla wafers, since I didn't get around to it last week.



Gluten Free Menu Swap Monday



This Week's Menu


Monday:
Thai Chicken and Peanut Stir-fry
Sauteed Cabbage



Tuesday:
Natalie's Cornmeal Pancakes
Lean Turkey Sausage
Cinnamon Baked Apples



Wednesday:
Simple Spaghetti and Meatballs
Tossed Salad



Thursday:
Sea's Sweet and Sour Tofu (for me) (chicken -- for Michael)
Green Beans
Sweet Baby Carrots



Friday:
Tacos with Homemade Salsa
-or-
Tamale Pie
(Depending on what ingredients we have on hand)



Breakfasts and Baked Goods:
Elizabeth Barbone's Sandwich Bread (with some whole grain variations)
Real Southern Banana Pudding *recipe coming!
Quick Banana Nut Muffins (with GF Master Mix in place of flour and leavening in recipe)


Pin It!