Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Twist on a pumpkin!



Sounds kinda like a crazy rock song doesn't it... or a strange version of Cinderella... or an odd way to play Twister... ;-)

It's actually just a simple. little. delicious. pie.

I've been wracking my brain to figure out exactly what pie I wanted to make this Thanksgiving. I will make a Libby's traditional pumpkin pie. You just can't beat tradition sometimes folks. And I really LOVE a Libby's pie... but you know me... I want to try something new... something different!

So last weekend, I made a test run on a simple, easy, one-bowl pie recipe (crust and all!) I love this pie because it creates it's own crust! For us gluten-freebies, anything to make crust-making easier, is completely worth it! Also, with the exception of one ingredient, the pie is naturally gluten-free. And, to make it even easier, most of the ingredients are pantry friendly! You probably have all of them right now just waiting to be used!

It's light and cozy. Simple and slightly sweet. I loved this pie cold, but it was very good warm! SO it's perfect either as a make-ahead dish (my favorite kind!) or to make right away! Whichever you prefer!

I took most of this pie to work because Michael is not a custard lover (although he loves quiche... I don't get it!) The folks at work ate the whole thing with smiles on their faces (and didn't have a clue it was gluten-free!) So I think this would completely pass with your gluten-happy family at Thanksgiving!! I'll be making this pie again tonight and putting it in the fridge for the big day tomorrow!



Cardamom Pumpkin Custard Pie
Created by Carrie of Gingerlemongirl.com
Free of gluten and soy
For a printer friendly version of this recipe, click here.

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk (I used canned, evaporated milk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 tsp. *cardamom
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
Beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk, vanilla, and pumpkin puree. In a small bowl, mix sorghum flour, and spices. Whisk in flour mixture a little bit at a time, making sure it's fully incorporated with egg mixture. Pour custard into a lightly greased pie tin. Sprinkle top of custard with additional cinnamon and grated nutmeg, if desired. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. During baking the flour will form a light crust around the top and bottom of the pie! Cut to serve in wedges. Garnish with a generous spoonful of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

*NOTE: If you do not have cardamom on hand, it's okay! Leave it out! The nutmeg will provide enough flavoring, but I love the scent and taste of cardamom!


Pin It!