Friday, August 5, 2011

Reader Favorites - Laura's Caramel Raisin Pudding Recipe


Every now and then I'll have a reader who is kind enough to send me a favorite family recipe. These cherished memories on faded & stained index cards and old envelopes mean so much to me. My favorite recipes at home are those written out by my great grandmother and saved in a small notebook. She clipped tons of newspaper recipes from the 30's - 60's and I have a lot of them. (Do not call Hoarders on me... you better not! lol)

To see Great-Grandma P's scribbled notes, the soft paper of recipes that were well used & loved... it's a wonderful memory of her. Reader Laura sent me a similar recipe not too long ago. She said that she remembered her mother & grandmother making the recipe and she now had the recipe on an old index card. She thought the recipe was probably from the 50's and it was still one of her favorite desserts and super easy to make gluten free. Laura used my master baking mix for the flour in this recipe and she said it tasted just like her grandmother had made it. You can't get a better compliment than that!

Do you have an old family recipe you would like to share? If you need help making it gluten free or just want to share it with my readers, please email me!

Laura's recipe uses an old technique to make a dessert pudding underneath a simple crust. A similar technique is used in this wonderful old chocolate cobbler recipe featured several months ago. If you make Laura's recipe and take a picture, please share it with me! Thank you so much for sharing some of your family memories with me Laura!

Laura's Caramel Raisin Pudding
free of gluten and soy
printer-friendly recipe

Pudding Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
3/4 cup raisins

Batter Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup Master Baking Mix -or- gluten free bisquick
1/2 cup milk -or- non-dairy substitute

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make the pudding: In a large saucepan mix together the water, brown sugar, and butter. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in raisins. Pour brown sugar/raisin mixture into a large greased baking dish. In another bowl mix together batter ingredients. Drop batter by tablespoons into the pudding. Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Serve warm. Especially good with ice-cream!
Pin It!