Saturday, April 23, 2011

{Gluten Free One Pot Meals} Hobo Dinners Recipe Template

Photo courtesy of Christy Jordon, cookbook author and founder of the popular food blog:  Southern Plate. 

I had completely forgotten about Hobo Dinners until this week. My wonderful friend Clara mentioned them during one of our chats last year and I filed it in the back of my endless "to try" cooking files somewhere in a dusty corner of my brain.

I remember making them as a child once or twice on camping trips with my youth group... a quick dinner you could toss into the campfire and it would HOPEFULLY be cooked through in an hour if you cut the potatoes small enough (I think mine were never fully cooked! lol)...

One hectic night this week I was frantically trying to come up with something quick for dinner. I had ground beef defrosted in the fridge and I knew I needed to use it. This cookbook was lying on my kitchen table. I flipped through to the ground beef recipes and the Hallelulah/lightbulb moment happened when I saw the recipe for Hobos.

So here you go... there is absolutely NOTHING fancy about this recipe. Throw together the ingredients you have on hand, fold it up in a cute foil package, stick it in the oven for an hour and eat... simple, but so delicious and my husband LOVED them!

Hobo Dinner Recipe Template
Naturally free of gluten, casein/dairy, soy, grains
Credit: Probably your grandmamma or scout leader has a very similar recipe... make it yours!
Printer-Friendly Recipe

1 pound ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork
Baby Carrots
4 potatoes (1 per person) or a bag of fingerling potatoes
4 slices of onion, (1 per person)
salt & pepper
Optional: A1 sauce or your favorite gluten free barbecue or steak sauce

Directions: 
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Divide 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey, chicken, pork, etc..) into 4 patties. Get 4 large sheets of foil. Place an onion slice in the middle of each sheet of foil. Place ground beef patty on top of each onion slice. On top of each meat patty add 1 diced potato (or 4-5 fingerling potatoes) and a handful of baby carrots. Add salt, pepper, and your favorite seasonings (we added garlic powder too!). Wrap up foil packages so they are tightly sealed. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes - an hour until veggies are tender and meat is cooked through.

Variations:

  • Add more veggies! Fresh green beans or zucchini would be awesome!
  • Cook this on your grill, in a firepit, or in your campfire! Great camping meal!!
  • Use fun vegetables like purple potatoes for really cool color! Your kids will love it!
  • For a seriously fast dinner prepare the meal in the foil packets a day before you need them, so all you have to do once you get home is stick them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven! Easy peasy!
Pin It!