Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gluten Free Cinnamon Bun Muffins Recipe with Jennifer of Adventures in McQuill-Land

photo courtesy of  Jennifer of Adventures in McQuill-Land
Today's guest post is shared by the lovely Jennifer of Adventures In McQuill-Land.

Gluten Free, Casein Free: A Taste of Cinnabon

Since going gf/cf several months back, I have been on a quest to find snacks for the boys that don’t break our food budget.  While I did find a wide variety of gf/cf snacks in the aisles of our local grocery stores, $5.00 for a small box of crackers or cookies that would not last more than a day or two in my house was not a price I was willing to pay.  Not to mention, one glance at the ingredients confirmed that these gf/cf treats were no better than their gluten-filled counterparts in terms of wholesome, natural ingredients… but what to give two growing boys instead?

Ryan commented early on in his gf/cf eating, after devouring 2 McDoubles (served with lettuce, minus the bun, the cheese, and the condiments):  “Mommy, I think it’s the bun and the french fries that really fill you up.”  And he was right.  What I found early on in our gf/cf switch was that my growing 9-year-old was always hungry.  He devoured fruits and vegetables and lean meats, but he was still starving!  And then I found a blog that has, to us, been a life saver:  Ginger Lemon Girl.  Carrie, the blog owner, regularly shares wonderfully tasty gluten-free and casein-free recipes.  And, she’s always willing to help out with recipe suggestions, recipe corrections, and even recipe conversions.

I contacted Carrie recently via e-mail to ask how to convert a recipe for cinnamon muffins I had found on another site that used almond flour. I wanted to create cinnamon muffins that used some of the flours I had in my pantry (brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and arrowroot flour) instead of the almond flour. She very kindly e-mailed me back the same day to tell me that while I could not convert the original recipe, I could adapt her blueberry muffin recipe, which called for the flours I had on had to create the cinnamon muffins.  And so, that’s what I did!

And the result was fabulous!  These muffins taste like Cinnabon, a gluten-free, casein-free Cinnabon!  The boys quickly declared them, DE-LIC-I-OUS!  Grandma also dubbed them wonderful.  And well, we’ve already polished off two batches, so if our words don’t speak loudly enough, perhaps our actions do!  Carrie has graciously agreed to allow me to share her recipe, with a couple small modifications, so here it is:

Gluten Free Cinnamon Bun Muffins
free of gluten, dairy/casein, and soy
created by carrie of gingerlemongirl.com 
originally shared on Jennifer's blog, "Adventures in McQuill-Land"
print-friendly recipe

Dry Ingredients:
2/3 cup tapioca flour
2/3 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar
      (There's a lot of sugar in the swirl, so I cut back just a bit here)
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup rice, soy, or coconut milk (I use coconut milk)
1/4 cup heart healthy oil, coconut oil, butter, or vegan margarine (I use coconut oil)

Cinnamon Swirl:
1-2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons melted margarine (I use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, applesauce, milk, coconut oil, and sugar. Add the flour mixture to  the egg yolk mixture and fold just until combined. In another bowl whip egg whites until stiff. SLOWLY fold the whipped egg whites into the muffin batter. (If you still see streaks or clumps of egg white that is OKAY, it does NOT have to be completely incorporated!) In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon swirl ingredients. Spoon muffin batter into greased or paper-lined muffin tins.  To be sure your muffins have cinnamon swirls throughout, fill the muffin tin half-full, spoon on some of the cinnamon swirl and use a small knife to swirl, fill the tin with more batter, and then spoon a bit more cinnamon swirl over the top. Bake for 18-25 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins on a wire rack.  Makes 12 muffins.

**********

I can not say enough wonderful things about these muffins… or about Carrie and the Ginger Lemon Girl blog.  You just have to try these muffins for yourself… and then visit Carrie’s blog to browse her recipes!  Everything we’ve tried has been fantastic:  peanut butter cookies, blueberry muffins, cinnamon muffins, chocolate chip cookies… I did say at the beginning of this post, I was looking for yummy gluten-free/casein-free snacks, didn't I?  Ginger Lemon Girl has a host of wonderful main dishes, side dishes, and other healthy, non-snack foods, too!



About Jennifer:
Jennifer is a devoted wife, mother, and family blogger. Her beautiful blog, Adventures in McQuill-Land, chronicles her life as a homeschooling mom, her favorite books & family stories, her faith, and her food discoveries after finding out her son needed to follow a gluten free and casein free several months ago. Many, many thanks to Jennifer for sharing her post & pictures with us today! Your kind & gracious compliments about my blog and recipes mean so very much! Thank you!


This post is also linked to Amy's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. A weekly blogging event hosted by Amy Green featuring delicious and healthy gluten free recipes! 



Pin It!