Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Basic Gluten Free Pancakes for National Pancake Day


One of my fondest memories growing up was eating my Dad's pancakes on Saturday mornings. He learned how to make pancakes when he was 8 years old. My grandmother taught him so he could make his own breakfast because he enjoyed sleeping late. (So that's where I get that from!) Dad's still making these pancakes and they have always been my favorite.

I've made a lot of gluten free pancakes since August 2007. I've enjoyed nearly every recipe I've made. But it's been a long time since I had my Dad's pancakes.

Most of the gluten free pancakes I've made have been from a mix. My favorites have been from this homemade gluten free master baking mix, and from Bob's Red Mill.

But I wanted to make my Dad's pancakes. His pancakes were slightly thin, but fluffy, soft, and completely mouth watering!

Somehow in the past three years I never thought to simply take my Dad's recipe and adapt it to be gluten free. This week I decided to do just that.

Michael's first comments after biting into my Dad's recipe for (now gluten free) pancakes: "Honey, these are the best pancakes you've made yet. Who's recipe is this? This is EXACTLY what pancakes are supposed to taste like. These are fluffy, buttery, moist, and they make me smile."

Not sure where the buttery part came in since we don't use butter... but I really love my husband!



If you want a very simple and basic gluten free pancake recipe, this is it. It uses 2 gluten free flours that are most likely in your pantry right now. No xanthan gum. No mix needed. Make these for your family this saturday morning and start a delicious tradition... or have them for dinner like we did tonight! :-)


Dad's Best Pancakes (Made Gluten Free)
-Or- Basic Gluten Free Pancakes
Adapted by Carrie Forbes @ Gingerlemongirl.com
(Free of gluten, casien, and soy)


Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil

Directions:
In a medium sized bowl add all dry ingredients and whisk together thoroughly. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the vanilla, an egg, 1 cup of non-dairy milk, and the oil. Whisk wet ingredients together with dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. You will have a very wet, but slightly thick batter that will cling to the whisk. Brush skillet or non-stick pan with olive oil or non-stick spray. Heat pan on medium high heat until it's hot enough to make a drop of water sizzle. Pour a few tablespoons - 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. Cook until bubbles form on the top and pop and the edges are slightly dry. Flip and cook the opposite side for 1-2 minutes. Serve piping hot with casein free margarine or ghee and real maple syrup!

Enjoy!

(Printer-friendly recipe)
Pin It!