Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Simple Fresh Homemade Lemonade Recipe (gluten free)


Summer is the time for lemonade. Fresh squeezed lemons, cold water, and sugar or the sweetener of your choice... that's all it takes to make your own lemonade!

Every week during the summer season I make a batch of homemade lemonade. There is something soothing during the process. It's almost like baking homemade bread. The actions of slicing the lemons in half, squeezing them, straining the juice, and adding it to fresh, crisp, cold water and mixing it with agave nectar and stevia. Then to drink the first glass of lemonade over ice. It makes you smile. It tastes like summer and it makes me want to be outside.

This Fourth of July make your own lemonade at home! It's refreshing, cool, and surprisingly good for you! Just watch out, because making your own will probably become a habit! ;-)

You can choose to make the lemonade with plain sugar, agave nectar, stevia, splenda... choose what you like best. I used to make my lemonade with sugar, but since I am having to watch my sugar intake I now make my lemonade with a mixture of liquid stevia and a small amount of agave nectar.


Simple, Fresh Homemade Lemonade


3-4 lemons, freshly squeezed and strained (-OR- about 1/3 cup of lemon juice)
2 quarts fresh, cold water
**1/2 cup simple sugar syrup (or the sweetener of your choice) + more to taste

If you are using fresh lemons: cut them in half, juice/squeeze them, and then place a plastic strainer over a 2 qt. pitcher. Pour the squeezed lemon juice over the strainer to remove pulp and seeds. I like to add a little bit of lemon pulp back in my fresh lemonade. Add 2 quarts of cold water and the simple syrup or sweetener of your choice. Refrigerate and serve cold over ice!

Happy Gluten Free Forth of July!!
Pin It!