Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How NOT to make a loaf of bread...



Chapter 1:


See my look of utter frustration? No, that is not a smile... that is a seriously tired, seriously frustrated Ginger Lemon Girl.

*sigh*




Notice I was baking @ 11:41pm. That was my first mistake. The second? I took a perfectly good bread recipe and tried to make it a little more healthy and changed the shape of the loaf. Bad decision at 11:41pm. Oh well... hopefully this weekend the seagulls will enjoy it as we head to the beach! Either that, or we'll make breadcrumbs or croƻtons, at Thomas' wise suggestion.





If you were expecting a recipe on how to NOT make a loaf of bread... well you probably already have one. I'm thinking that I'm not the only one who's had a once beautiful, but sunken gluten free loaf upon cooling. It happens to all of us gluten free bakers. Especially when I am in a hurry -or- decide to get a little too creative in changing a recipe. I just thought you'd feel better knowing that it happens in my kitchen too.


Bet you can't guess who will be lugging instant grits instead of toast to the beach this weekend for breakfast!


*******

Chapter 2:




Here is another loaf that went horribly wrong several weeks ago. Have no idea where I went wrong on that one. So I punched it... very mature, I know. But at least I felt better...


*********


Chapter 3:





At least Steve's super awesome cinnamon rolls turned out well. So lesson # 2... when you've baked a loaf of bread that didn't exactly turn out stellar... bake cinnamon rolls. You'll feel MUCH better. And everyone will love you, especially your husband! And they are perfect to make ahead for breakfast at the beach.


*******

Chapter 4:




So if the cinnamon rolls aren't enough to make you feel better... make these brownies. This particular batch was a gift from Cheryl of Gluten Free Goodness. It's a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free packaged brownie mix from The Cravings Place. Normally I am quite a snob when it comes to boxed mixes, especially gluten free ones... but these particular brownies absolutely ROCK the house. Oh how the family beach bums are gonna LUVVVVV me this weekend!!





This was the entire set of gifts that I received from Cheryl for entering a recipe contest on her blog! And I thought I just won a brownie mix! You have no idea how surprised I was to find all these goodies! Thanks SO much Cheryl!! I'm already feeling better about that poor loaf of bread!





*******



Chapter 5:







Lesson # 3 : Don't ask your cat for sympathy when your loaf of gluten free bread falls -- feelin' the love, just feelin' the love...

Instead, go running to your better half who will once again give you a hug and tell you it will all turn out better next time!

Guess I'll go and have another brownie...






Pin It!