We had a great weekend visiting my sweet friend Betty (who has shared her recipes for blueberry french toast casserole and beans galore -- two favorites at our house!) Betty treated us to a wonderful simple meal of chicken and root vegetables made in the slow cooker on Saturday evening. Michael enjoyed it so much we're having it again this week! I have a lot of upcoming deadlines in the next few weeks, so I won't have time to make dinner in the evenings. Since I had a whole afternoon free today I decided to get busy and get cooking. Our meals will be pre-made this week, along with having a few sandwich nights (Michael's favorite dinner anyway!)
This Week's Challenge: Egg-Free Breakfast Ideas
I feel like nearly every week I have something challenging to work through. It's usually good things like getting more exercise, more sleep, trying a new recipe, meeting a deadline etc... but I want to connect with you, my readers. This week's challenge is to make protein-rich egg-free breakfasts. Several readers have mentioned on the facebook fan page that they are allergic to eggs and need ideas for healthy breakfasts. SO I'm taking on the challenge to figure out what I can make for breakfast without eggs, but yet with a lot of protein. If you have ideas, please share them in the comments below!
This will definitely be an interesting challenge for me because I LOVE eggs and I hope it's a food I never have to go without. It probably wouldn't be much of a stretch for me to say that eggs are my favorite food. They are so versatile and can be used in so many ways... but for those of you who cannot use them -- I know breakfast must be a puzzle at times. So I'm going to test the egg-free breakfast waters and let you know what I come up with!
What are your strategies for meals on super busy weeks? Do you have a freezer with already made meals? Do you eat out? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Breakfasts this week:
- Michael will probably take cereal & milk with him to work every morning. I am making clam chowder to have several mornings, I also have sausage to make some type of casserole possibly, and I'm thinking I might have chicken salad over a spinach or lettuce bed..
Lunches this week:
- Leftovers -or- lettuce & turkey wraps with fruit
Dinners this week:
- Sunday -- Hubs requested sandwiches... I'm having a chicken salad lettuce wrap
- Monday -- Meatloaf stuffed green peppers with mashed sweet potatoes and a fresh salad
- Tuesday -- Italian spaghetti squash & meatball casserole with salad or red cabbage slaw
- Wednesday -- Slow cooked chicken with root vegetables, served with slow cooker applesauce
- Thursday -- Sandwich/Lettuce Wrap night + raw veggies & fruit
- Friday -- Leftovers -or- Out to Eat
- Saturday -- Beef or Chicken Taco Salads
This menu is also being shared at Gluten Free Detroit Metro's blog with the Gluten Free Menu Swap and at Laura's I'm an Organizing Junkie Menu Monday.