Just in case you are in need of a gluten free vegan recipe fix today... here are some breakfast bars I created last night.
I don't have a picture for you, so you can use your imagination or pretend that they look like this. They actually look very similar to those bars, except our chocolate chips are actually mixed into the cookie batter!
This recipe makes 12 large cookie bars and I thoroughly enjoyed them for breakfast today!
Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Bars
(Gluten Free, Soy Free, Low Sugar, Low Fat, Vegan)
Created by Carrie @ Gingerlemongirl.com
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or whatever whole grain, gluten free flour you prefer)
- 1/4 cup brown rice protein powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/4 - 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
- 3 full-droppers of vanilla creme stevia -or- 1/2 cup sugar (I used stevia)
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup allergen free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spritz a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl mix wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together to create a wet batter. The batter should be slightly on the wet side like a stiff muffin batter. Add more liquid by the tablespoon if your batter is too dry.
- Stir chocolate chips and/or other add in's into batter.
- Pour batter into the greased 9x13" pan and spread with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the bars will "bounce back" when lightly touched with your finger or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into 12 large bars. Cool in pan or on a cooling rack.
- Store leftovers (if there are any) in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.
Michael and I are heading to Sevierville, TN next week to celebrate our 5th anniversary!
If you know of any delicious gluten free dining establishments in the Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge area that you can share with me, I'd LOVE to hear from you!
Please let me know in the comments or send me an email @ gingerlemongirl (at) gmail (dot) com.